Flagstaff in Fidenza: A Summer International Opera and Concert Festival
Back in 2016
Northern Arizona University College of Arts and Letters, School of Music, in Collaboration with the City of Fidenza (PR), Italy presents: Summer International Opera & Concert Festival.
When: June 9 - July 4, 2016 (Arrival June 8, Departure July 5)
Where: Fidenza (PR) and other surrounding communities in Northern Italy
- Nando Schellen, Artistic Director
- Romano Franceschetto, Associate Artistic Director
- Deborah Raymond, Associate Artistic Director/Program Coordinator
Nearly four weeks of intensive vocal technique, coaching, and performance in Opera, Art Song, and Oratorio. International Faculty from the United States, Canada, Italy and the Netherlands. Performances in beautiful theaters, churches, and other venues in Fidenza, Parma, Salsomaggiore, Busseto, and Carpi.
- Complete opera performances in original language, staged with professional orchestra
- Opera scenes staged, with piano
- Aria/art song recitals
- Oratorio concerts
- Singing in church services
- Master Classes with Hans Nieuwenhuis, General Director of the Orfeo Foundation, Amsterdam
- Italian Language instruction and coaching
- Tai Chi instruction
Our mission is to present a select number of highly talented young singers from all over the world with the performing conditions resembling those of a professional opera singer, while providing them with excellent teaching and guidance.
Opera is a modern art originating in many languages. It is essential that young singers are trained to portray their characters in these languages, communicating relevance to today’s audiences.
The historical environment of Fidenza and surrounding cities serves as an ideal cultural atmosphere to accomplish our goals.