Minor in music

Declaring a music minor

If you are majoring in another area of study and would like to declare a music minor, you must:

  1. be accepted to the university
  2. apply and be accepted to the School of Music
  3. take a music theory placement exam 

Degree requirements/classes

The NAU academic catalog is the official, authoritative source for all academic requirements and policies. Any discrepancies in curricular requirements from other sources will default to the catalog as the official, authoritative source. 

Minor requirements  


  • You should see an academic adviser at least once a semester to confirm your academic progress.
  • You are required to see an academic adviser before enrolling in your senior year of courses to prepare your paperwork for graduation.

Requirements for the minor

  • a C or better in all music courses required for the minor
  • completion of the following 24 credit hours/units
  • 6 units of theory: MUS 121, 122, and 131
  • 6 units of history and literature: MUS 241 and 242
  • 12 units from any combination of MUP and MUS courses