Acceptance into a School of Music Undergraduate Program
In order to join the School of Music, you need to be admitted to the university and accepted to the School of Music—which requires an audition.
To be accepted to the School of Music as a music major, minor, or private student, you must:
- Apply and be unconditionally admitted to Northern Arizona University.
- Submit a School of Music application. You may complete the form online or print/mail a paper application.
- Click here to complete the School of Music online application. If you choose this option, you must download the Applicant Recommendation Form as an additional step. [NOTE: Check for blocked pop-up windows]
- Click here to open the School of Music printed application (Adobe Format). - 2016-2017 Application Coming Soon.
- Please be aware that some Yahoo email users receive error messages about the success of their application submission. If you receive an error message, please contact the School of Music at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arrange for an audition for your principal instrument/voice on one of the formal audition dates.
- Take the required music theory placement examination on your audition day or during your orientation to the university.
- File your FAFSA form (free application for federal student aid) and remember to mark NAU as a recipient of that form.
Transfer and International Students
While all students must follow the regular School of Music undergraduate admission procedure (see above), the following are some additional resources to help transfer students and international students through the process.
It’s important to plan ahead for the audition process —you should plan to arrange an audition well in advance of enrolling at the university.
Required placement exam
If you are admitted to the university and accepted into the School of Music, you will be required to take a music theory placement examination. It is best to take this placement exam on your audition day. You will have an additional opportunity to take (or re-take) the exam during your orientation to the university.
Based on your exam score, you will either enroll in:
MUS 120 (Theory Preparation) or
MUS 121 (Music Theory I)
MUS 131 (Aural Skills)
If you need to brush up on your music theory before the exam, our music theory faculty have prepared a helpful guide.
All incoming freshmen and transfer students are automatically considered for tuition scholarships based on their audition and financial need status. There is no separate application for these scholarships.
You must file your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before you can be considered for any aid. Click here to learn more about how to apply to financial aid at NAU.