Spanish MAT Application Procedures & Checklist
This contains the application checklist that details the requirements and forms that you must complete. There are two places on campus that need information from you:
- The Graduate College
- The in Spanish MAT Program
Graduate College Application Requirements
It is essential that you visit the Graduate College's General Information page before completing any of the Graduate College's paperwork.
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Official Transcripts
- TOEFL Score (International students only)
Spanish Program Requirements
- Statement of Purpose
- This should be a one page statement in English or Spanish where you describe why this program is a good match for your professional goals. We essentially want to know why a graduate program in teaching Spanish is best for you.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- We need three letters of recommendation, at least of which must be from an academic such as a professor.
- Oral and Written Spanish samples
- Spanish Oral (speech) Sample: Submit in the form of a CD or an audio file emailed to the program coordinator a 5-minute sample of your oral abilities in Spanish. This sample can be a spontaneous story (something that happened to you or someone else), or an unrehearsed description of a place of interest.
- Spanish Written Sample: Provide a 3-5 typed, double spaced essay (a paper written for a course or an example of a paper written in “formal” Spanish). This sample must be recent, not more than 3 years old.
Send all Spanish program requirement materials to:
Dr. Joseph Collentine / Dr. Yuly Asención
Northern Arizona University
Department of Global Languages & Cultures (Graduate Application)
P.O. Box 6004
Flagstaff AZ, 86011-6004
Graduate Teaching Assistantships
All applicants to the program are automatically considered for a graduate assistantship, which provides free tuition and medical benefits while you are paid to teach two Spanish courses per semester. If you do not want a graduate assistantship, please inform the graduate coordinator when you complete your application materials.
The number of assistantships per year are limited so apply early!