Take a virtual tour
Browse your favorite stomping grounds and see
what’s new on campus with our virtual tour. On your mobile device, use this interactive map and this live campus shuttle tracker.
(Click map above to enlarge)
#1 Old Main/ Ashurst
Old Main, constructed between 1894 and 1899, set the standard for Moenkopi sandstone construction on campus. The interior two floors, finished in 1900, included an assembly room, a library, classrooms, recitation rooms, an office, and cloak rooms. In 1901, a practice-teaching area was added. The third floor interior was completed in 1912.
For the first six years of the institution's existence, Old Main was the Normal School's sole building for twenty-three to fifty-four students and a handful of staff members.
In the early 1900s, wooden fences were installed around Old Main to prevent the intrusion of horses and cattle grazing in the nearby forest.
In 1961, the interior was converted to a dormitory. In 1984, Old Main was restored to its original use as classroom and office space. Much of the original fabric remains, including the pressed metal ceilings in several rooms, several cast-iron columns, wooden floors, and wainscoting. The original president's office and library have been restored and include the first president's desk.
Today, Old Main is home to Alumni Relations, University Advancement, and the Art Museum, which includes the Marguerite Hettel Weiss collection. The museum is open to the public Tuesday-Saturday from noon to 5:00 PM (once fire upgrades have been completed in the building in September 2011).
Adjoining Old Main is Ashurst. It was completed in 1920. Ashurst housed the first auditorium and gathering place for the Northern Arizona Normal School. At a special assembly held at Ashurst Auditorium in April 1930, Dr. C.O. Lampland, director of Lowell Observatory, announced the discovery of the (then) planet Pluto. In 1984, Ashurst Auditorium was restored to its original glory, including a pressed metal ceiling and hardwood floor. The ground floor of Ashurst is currently used for offices including the Graduate College.
#2 North Union/1899 Bar & Grill
On February 28, 2011, NAU opened its historic North Union doors to a brand-new dining experience. Called the 1899 Bar & Grill, this upscale restaurant is named after Northern Arizona University's founding year and is testament both to the university's modernization and also a nod to its history and roots.
It retains features from the historic building, such as its original copper fireplace, but adds dynamic lighting and an elegant, open design to produce a kind of dining experience never seen before on this campus.
Check out the 1899 Menu and go grab a bite.
The North Union is also home to Prochnow Auditorium. This 900 seat venue (a training lab for students) hosts comedians, concerts and weekly movie nights.
#3 Drury/ High Country Conference Center
Located at the northern most end of campus, The High Country Conference Center has over 25,000+ square feet of meeting space and can host everything from a wedding to a corporate conference.
The adjoining Drury Inn & Suites is LEED Silver Certified with many environmentally friendly features from solar panels to recycled water systems. Read more about it and book a room.
Designed with Neo-Classical and Georgian Revival architectural styles, the "Teacher Training School" was built in 1921 on the site of Flagstaff's first school (founded 1883). Constructed of Moenkopi sandstone, initially the structure provided model classrooms for student teachers receiving practical training in elementary education. In the 1950s, the facility was renamed the Student Personnel Building. After remodeling in 1983, the building was named in honor of Rudolph H. H. Blome, Northern Arizona Normal School's second president. The Blome Building currently houses the Center for International Education and other administration offices.
#5 Eastburn Education Center
The Eastburn Education Center is named for Lacey A. Eastburn, NAU President from 1947-1957. Construction started in Eastburn's last year. It was originally built as the home for the training school and the education department. There are four major departments housed here now including Instructional Leadership, Educational Leadership, Educational Psychology, and Educational Specialties.
#6 Communications/ Extended Campuses
The Communications building and Extended Campuses building are adjoined to give both access to the television studios that NAU-TV (the university's professional television division responsible for several shows including Inside NAU, The Score, Signature and others, as well as live broadcasts of football, soccer, basketball and other games/events throughout the year) and NAZ Today (the live student-produced news show that airs Mondays-Thursdays during the academic year) share. Also housed here are KJACK radio (the student produced radio channel), The Lumberjack student newspaper, communications courses and Extended Campuses offices.
Also on the first floor of the Extended Campuses building, you'll find the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs.
The John F. Wettaw Biology and Biochemistry Building was completed in 2000. It was named after chemistry professor and state legislator John Wettaw. The building houses biochemistry and chemistry classes as well as NAU's electron microscope.
#8 Native American Cultural Center
Set to open in October 2011, the Native American Cultural Center creates a platform for Native American cultures, traditions, perspectives and contributions. Through the Center, students can interact with peers, seek academic support, and feel pride in their university involvement, whether they are on campus or linking to the university through non-residential distance learning programs. Among the goals of the Center is to change the lives of all of our students - improving their academic, social, and cultural experience and opening new ideas and possibilities as they step into their futures. The centrally-located building will integrate native design features and incorporate sustainable design principles, reflecting traditional values of reverence to Mother Earth and Father Sky. NAU serves more than 1,300 Native American students from over 62 tribes throughout the country.
#9 Cline Library
The oldest portion of Cline Library was dedicated in 1966. It has since been added onto several times and now houses over 1.4 million volumes in its more than 200,000 square feet, which also includes a 400 seat assembly hall. The Cline Library Assembly Hall offers a venue for large university and community events. Consult the Assembly Hall Calendar for public lectures, film showings, etc. Next to the Cline Library Assembly Hall you'll find Scholars' Corner, a small coffee shop offering Starbuck's coffee, tea, soft drinks, snacks, and more. Cline also houses 'Studio B' with leading edge technology including pod-casting and a large flat-panel display with smart-board technology.
Two murals, A 1967 Look to the Future and Traditions in Pictorial Form, were painted by Sedona artist Stephen Juharos for the library's entryway. A Northern Arizona University centennial commemorative sculpture by Budapest artist Péter Párkányi Raab is on display at the main entrance. Párkányi Raab completed "1996: The Year of Science" during his appointment as an NAU visiting artist. The limestone and bronze sculpture was placed at the entrance in the fall of 1996. The six stained glass windows installed in the east and west walls above the Jean Collins Reading Room were a gift to the library and the university from Jean Collins, Emeritus Dean and University Librarian, upon her retirement. Local artist Vickie Belman of Spiral Mountain Designs created the windows from a joint design with Dean Collins.
On April 9, 1988, NAU named the library the Cline Library in honor of Platt H. and Barbara Cline, distinguished alumni and benefactors of NAU.
#10 Performing and Fine Arts
The first phase of the "Creative Arts Center" was completed in 1969 and included facilities for the Drama, Art, Humanities, Speech Communication, Journalism, and Music Departments. While it no longer houses all of these departments, it is still home to the Clifford E. White theatre, classrooms and offices. The adjoining Ardrey Auditorium was phase two of the building.
#11 Ardrey Auditorium
Ardrey Auditorium opened its doors in 1971, at the time known only as Phase II of the Creative Arts Center. In 1975, it was formally named the Eldon A. Ardrey Memorial Auditorium. This nearly 1500-seat music hall was designed to handle major musical productions and to serve as a facility for both university and community productions, such as Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra concerts and the Flagstaff Festival of the Arts.
Over one million people have taken a seat in Ardrey to enjoy live music, theatre, dance, and more. Audiences have enjoyed performances by the Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra, the NAU School of Music, and world-renowned artists such as Itzhak Perlman, Jerry Seinfeld, Willie Nelson, the Lord of the Dance, and the Vienna Boys Choir, to name a few. It's also home to more than 100 free School of Music Events every year.
Ardrey's Take A Seat campaign is currently raising money to replace the seats and bring the auditorium back to its former glory.
#12 University Union
Preliminary planning for the student union began in 1980 with the concept of centralizing all student services into a single facility. Actual construction on the facility was initiated in 1982, beginning with the demolition of Cottage City, a collection of some fifty-odd stone structures dating from the 1920s that accommodated summer and married students.
The first phase of construction was completed in 1987. By 1989, a two-story addition on the west end of the initial structure and a new main entrance were finished.
As part of the construction process, the Field House was incorporated into the Union. Today the Field House has recreational facilities, including a bowling alley and game room, and Academic Support Services which offers advising, tutoring, and the services of the Multi-Cultural Center.
In 2008, another expansion was added with several new restaurants and seating, indoors and out.
The University Union houses student organizations, meeting rooms, and several eateries including Starbucks, Einstein Bagels, Chick-fil-A, Denny's Fresh Express, Jamba Juice, The Hot Spot cafeteria and more. Browse menus for these and other campus restaurants HERE.
The Bookstore building was originally built in 1966. In 1977 the square footage was more than doubled with an addition. It was remodeled in 1983 and 1992. This building houses the bookstore - including an authorized Apple store, post office, mailroom, print shop and various offices.
#14 Hotel and Restaurant Management
Built in 1986, the Hotel and Restaurant Management complex houses one of the largest and most respected HRM programs in the nation. The three buildings making up the Hotel and Restaurant Management programs include the Eugene M. Hughes Hotel and Restaurant Management building, HRM East (formerly The Inn at NAU), and faculty office building. All three buildings have been renovated and optimized by adding classrooms and clinical lab space. (More about the renovation HERE and watch a tour of the improvements.
One of the unique features of the HRM program is the opportunity for the educators to be teaching the future hotel and restaurant managers about tactics to design and operate their facilities focusing on sustainability.
#15 Health and Learning Center
The brand new Health and Learning Center (HLC) is a gathering place for students and a center for recreation, health, and learning. It is the new home for the Counseling Center, Disability Resources, Employee Assistance and Wellness, the Fronske Health Center, and the state of the art Recreation Center, which includes Outdoor Adventures, Intramurals, and Club Sports. In addition, there are two floors of general classroom space, a coffee shop and cafe, and many lounge areas for seating, social events, and more. See the HLC features page for more information on all the HLC has to offer.
#16 Wall Aquatic Center
The Wall Aquatic Center, one of the finest high altitude swimming facilities in the world, serves the campus, the Flagstaff community, and visitors. Students, faculty, staff and the public are invited to enjoy the aquatic center, which houses an Olympic-size pool, complete with eight 50-meter lanes, two 1-meter and two 3-meter diving boards, and an underwater viewing and filming window. There is also a shallow instruction/therapy area, a weight room and classroom. The pool ranges in depth from three feet to 13 feet and holds 750,000 gallons of water. The spectator area has a capacity for 400.
The Wall Aquatic Center is an internationally known High Altitude Training facility. Some of the world's finest swimmers train at the aquatic center. National swim squads from countries such as Australia, Germany, Italy, Japan, and Norway train here to heighten their performance and prepare for - and in many cases win - some of the most prestigious swim competitions in the world.
#17 Applied Research and Development
The Applied Research and Development Building (ARD) showcases the latest innovations in high-performance construction technology, energy efficient design, and use of renewable energy. It earned 60 points out of a possible 69 to meet the highest rating -Platinum- from the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design system. It is one of the greenest buildings in Arizona and has one of the highest LEED point totals in the world.
Ninety percent of waste materials generated from building construction were recycled. Thirty percent of construction materials are made from recycled materials and 57 percent of materials were produced or manufactured locally.
The offices and labs of Dr. Paul Keim and the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) are located on the third floor of the ARD Building. Because of the pathogen genomics nature of much of the work done in the building, parts of the building are restricted to those with high security access only.
Take a virtual tour.
#18 Babbitt Administration Center
The Babbitt Administrative Center was built in 1976 for offices, including that of the president, and conference rooms. It is named after John G. Babbitt, member and president of the Board of Regents. It was renovated in 2005.
#19 The W. A. Franke College of Business
The W. A. Franke College of Business was named after William A. Franke, an Arizona businessman who made a $25 million dollar commitment to the university. Read more about his vision and gift.
FCB houses high tech classrooms, offices and computer space for business students and faculty. A unique attribute of this building is the open floor plan that invites students to stay after classes and enjoy the 32,000 square feet of dedicated informal meeting spaces. It also stands out for its wide usage of Thin Client technology, which allows students and faculty to access computers from a large server using a slim and extremely energy efficient device. The FCB also has a career development office and business communications center for students. This building is one of many LEED-rated places on campus, with a gold rating, from the U.S. Green Building Council.
#20 du Bois Center
On April 27, 1988 this south campus building (originally known as the South Academic Center) was named in honor of Alan Van Fleet du Bois, a Phoenix businessman who founded scholarships that supported some 2,000 students over a period of twenty years. DuBois currently houses meeting and conference rooms, several campus eateries including The Dub, Einstein Bros. Express, Pacific Fusion, Pita Place and more. Menu info for all the restaurants HERE.
Originally constructed in 1972, the Engineering building was virtually rebuilt into a LEED gold-rated structure, with many eco-friendly enhancements. The Engineering building houses classrooms for civil engineering, environmental engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and computer science; a teaching auditorium that can hold 90 students; over a dozen computer labs for engineering students, as well as the Sustainable Energy Systems research.
#22 SSLUG Garden
The Sustainable Living and Urban Gardening (SSLUG) Garden is a Partnership between the Program in Community, Culture & Environment's Sustainable Environments and Engaged Democracy (SEED) Freshman Learning Community and the Master of Arts in Sustainable Communities (SUS).
The SSLUG garden is maintained by a core of student volunteers and organized by a coordinator. They maintain regular workdays, open to the public, where participants can learn about growing food in Flagstaff and enjoy what they produced at their own table. Throughout the last two seasons, about 40 students have participated in the garden.
The garden hosts heirloom annual food crops, climate appropriate fruit trees, native shrubs and flowers, rainwater harvesting, sunken and raised beds, a cold frame, composting, and intercropping techniques. The overall garden design is influenced by southwest indigenous agriculture and permaculture design.
Other SSLUG projects include helping restart the NAU composting program (composting food from NAU dining halls at the garden site), and creating pamphlets on Cold Frames in Flagstaff and Climate-Appropriate Vegetables.
#23 Southwest Forest Science Complex
The Southwest Forestry Science Complex was built in 1992 as a three-story facility for classrooms, offices, and labs in cooperation with the US Forest Service. The state and federal government share ownership of this building. Housed inside NAU's portion are the School of Forestry and Ecological Restoration Institute (ERI).
ERI is nationally recognized for mobilizing the unique assets of a university to help solve the problem of unnaturally severe wildfire and degraded forest health in the region. The ERI works to help land management agencies and communities by providing comprehensive focused studies, monitoring and evaluation research, and technical support. The ERI is a pioneer in conducting research and disseminating information about restoration treatment outcomes, strategies, and techniques in the Southwest.
#24 South Campus Recreation Complex
Nestled in a park-like setting are two huge fields, two sand volleyball courts and a throwing area for discus, shotput and hammer. An 18-hole disc golf course wraps its way around the perimeter of the fields through the ponderosa pines. Two round buildings, which house equipment storage in one and restrooms with lockers in the other, are joined overhead by a shade ramada.
The project features synthetic grass, Dark Skies-compliant lighting, recycled blue-jean insulation, reclaimed water and recycling of natural resources disrupted during construction. An added bonus is a warm place to sit when the weather turns cooler. The infill of the grass contains sand and ground-up tire pellets which absorb heat throughout the day. This creates a radiating heat effect which helps snow to melt more quickly in the winter.
The synthetic grass -Stadia Grass 45- has a life expectancy of 10-15 years, is not affected by the weather, does not require water and has the look and feel of natural grass.
All the materials removed during the construction of these fields were reused in some way - trees that were removed were used again for ground covering in the throwing area, larger logs were donated to NAU Ceramics to fire the kilns, and earth that had been moved was used as fill-in.
#25 Rolle Activity Center
Originally built in 1982, the "South Activity Center" was renamed the Joseph C. Rolle Activity Center on April 28, 1989 in honor of Rolle, alumnus, employee and campus legend, who dedicated his life to the university. This facility has gym, classroom and office space. It is used for team practices and events.
KNAU is the NPR station for northern Arizona. Their building consists of six studios: three broadcast, two production, and one with performance space. Listen LIVE now.
#27 Walkup Skydome
One of the largest laminated wood beam structures of its kind in the world, the Skydome was originally planned as an enclosed ice rink. However, the record snowfall of 1973, NAU's poor showing in the Big Sky Conference, and the success of Idaho State University's multi-purpose "Minidome" broadened the concept of the facility into what it has become today.
The Skydome became a reality in 1975 as a result of a twenty-six acre land donation by the Arizona Lumber and Timber Company. Ground breaking for the facility began at a special "dome-raising" ceremony on September 4, 1975. The domed roof, made with laminated wooden beams, was designed to rest upon an excavated "natural amphitheater" of stone, thus eliminating the expense of constructing a massive supporting wall.
Despite not being fully completed, the Dome opened to the public at 6:00 on the evening of September 17, 1977. All 15,300 of its permanent seats were filled as NAU's football team beat the University of Montana.
Upon its opening, the Dome garnered widespread favorable media attention as ninety newspapers in addition to network television commented on the multi-purpose facility. One newspaper poetically described the Dome as "a tarpaper-grey flying saucer nestled in a natural bowl in the largest stand of Ponderosa pine on the planet."
In the fall of 1979 during the University Honors Convocation, Regent Ralph M. Bilby formally christened the facility the J. Lawrence Walkup Skydome in honor of the man who, as president of NAU, guided the project to fruition.
The Skydome was just refurbished, including new seats and NFL-quality turf. It will open to the public in September 2011.
#28 Atmospheric Research Observatory and the Barry Lutz Telescope
The Atmospheric Research Observatory was built in the early 1950s to house the world's first infrared telescope, created by NAU professor Arthur Adel.
The telescope was successfully used for more than two decades to make important discoveries in astronomy. Learn more about Adel and his discoveries HERE.
Between 1976 and 2008, the ARO was used mostly as a tool for education and public outreach. Several years of fundraising by dedicated physics and astronomy faculty at NAU, secured enough funds to replace the half-century old equipment with a modern, research-grade telescope and instrumentation in 2008.
Students and faculty are now using the NAU Observatory to advance the science of astronomy once again, and public outreach is more active now than ever before.
FREE public viewings take place every clear Friday night from 7:30-10pm during the academic year. More info HERE.
#29 Sechrist Hall
On January 20, 1967 NAU's tallest building and northern Arizona's first high-rise structure was presented by Regent Norman Sharber and dedicated by President Walkup. The nine-story, traditional-style residence hall is named in honor of Dr. C.W. Sechrist, a physician, legislator, and long-time supporter of NAU.
Read about other NAU residence halls HERE.
The Gateway Student Success Center offers academic advising, career advising, and employment services. It is intended to help students establish solid education and career goals. Gateway also offers alumni support.