Blg COM 16 Rm #373
Northern Arizona University
Creative Media and Film
Research and teaching interests
My research and teaching interests are broadly based in the study of visual culture, media, and documentary. My work takes a number of paths ranging from the study of visual technologies and their impact on cultural life, the study of audio and visual documentary, the history, and culture of amateur film, and the history, and culture of tourism.
Representative research and creative work
- Recording Culture: Audio Documentary and the Ethnographic Experience[with Daniel Makagon], (Sage, 2009).
- On The Rim: Looking for the Grand Canyon(University of Minnesota Press, 1999/2001-pbck)
- "Amateur Film and the Rural Imagination" [with Janna Jones], Cinematic Countrysides, Robert Fish (ed.), (Manchester University Press, 2007).
- "Home Movies on Freud's Couch," The Moving Image, vol 2.1 (Spring 2002)
- Jim's Grave(audio doc produced with Barret Golding and HearingVoices.com).
Links of interest
documentaryworks.org (A community-based organization devoted to the study of all forms of documentary)
weru.org (Eastern Maine's independent community radio station)
PhD, Communication, University of Utah 1991
MS, Mass Communication, University of Utah 1986
BA, Communication, Central Connecticut State University 1982