NAU Residential Student Eco-Rep Program
"I learned how to do programming, and I improved my leadership and communication skills… My participation in this program helped me stick to my sustainable lifestyle.”
Eco-Reps are peer educators that will be trained through weekly team meetings to become sustainability change agents in their residence hall. Eco-Reps provide their peers with relevant and approachable strategies for living more sustainably in NAU residential communities. Eco-Reps serve as a resource that role models and promotes environmentally sustainably behaviors in their residential community/area. They will assist students in becoming aware of their everyday lifestyle choices and understanding the effects an individual can have on the environment, specifically in their residence.
The Eco-Rep position is an opportunity for residential students to gain knowledge about sustainability issues and to develop their leadership skills and their ability to communicate about sustainability to their peers.What are we looking for in Eco-Rep Candidates?
What will I gain from this role?
- Must live on campus
- Must be available for the full academic year
- Must be available for weekly meetings on Fridays from 2:30 – 3:30 pm
- Must be available to work 4 - 5 hours per week and not be overcommitted with other extracurricular activities and employment
- Self motivated with the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Creativity and enthusiasm
- Outgoing and good communication skills
- A willingness to be very visible, available and approachable
- An interest in sustainability and a willingness to learn
- A commitment to engage peers on issues of c onservation, pro-environmental behavior change, and a sense of environmental responsibility
- Demonstration of effective leadership skills
- Ability to complete projects and meet deadlines
- Flexibility and adaptability
Application Process and Timeline
- Leadership, communication, and peer education skills
- Increased knowledge of environmental and sustainability topics
- Helping NAU achieve the goal of carbon neutrality by 2020
- Networking and interaction with a variety of NAU resources
Additional Applicant Information
- Applications are now being accepted on a rolling basis for
students who are returning to campus housing next year.
- Successful applicants will be notified on an ongoing basis
through the fall application deadline (TBD).
We have openings for the following communities:
- You are applying for a position for your assigned residence hall or apartment community
- One position will be filled within each community