Confidentiality and Subject Payment
- Principal Investigator (PI): A NAU employee conducting research under a grant or research project.
- Subject: An individual who is voluntarily participating in a research project.
- Subject Pay: Payment to a subject in a research project.
Subject Payments must be made by a PI. Payments must be conducted and documented according to NAU policy.
To obtain a check for the PI of the grant or research project, from which payment can be made to subjects, follow this process.
- Process a RXQ document on Advantage to pay the PI.
- Attach a copy of the page in the grant, or research project, that delineates the use of the money for Subject Pay.
- Provide a list of individuals that have received
payments, once the participation has taken place. (See confidentiality
- In the PTEXT section of the RXQ, note that the PI
for the grant, or research project, is fully responsible for this money,
within the context of their grant. It is advised to list the PI by
The PI must keep a list of subject pay distribution. If
ever audited, the PI must be able to provide for how this money was
- The nature of the grant, or research project,
determines if confidentiality is required. If the grant, or research
project, requires that confidentiality of subjects be maintained, then
the PI need not provide a list of the subjects with the RXQ document.
- The PI must complete a Promissory Note with Accounts Payable to ensure use of funds.
- This PI will remain fully responsible for
documenting how the money is spent through the writing of their report
for the grant or research project