Learn about Sassafras KeyServer within the NAU Environment
KeyServer is a client-server solution for auditing, managing, and sharing software licenses used by the University. The actual KeyServer holds end-user workstation (Windows & Macintosh) information and information about what software is licensed for use by each department or area within the University.
KeyServer is for software that is individually purchased and has KeyServer compatible licenses. There is no need to report to KeyServer for applications that are licensed for the University already such as Microsoft Office or products that are available for free use by anyone such as open source, freeware, or creative commons applications.How It Works
End-users can run any of the software that is licensed for their department or area. When a KeyServed program is launched, a license is "checked-out" from the KeyServer. Then, when the application is closed the license is "checked-in" back to the KeyServer. This ensures that departments and areas within the University are never using more copies of an application than they are legally licensed to be using.How to Install & Setup
Information ITS Needs When New Software is Purchased
- Windows - The KeyServer client software for Windows is installed and updated automatically on NAU domain joined Windows workstations via Active Directory Group Policy.
- Mac OS X - The client software for Macintosh computers needs to be manually installed. Please, contact the ITS Solution Center at 928-523-1511 or submit a ServiceNow ticket for assistance with this.
Departments and areas within the University are responsible for their own auditing of software, and must keep local proof of purchase for all software that is purchased. When new software is acquired that is a purchased program that needs to be reported, please contact the ITS Solution Center at 928-523-1511 or submit a ServiceNow ticket with the following information:
- The Vendor (e.g. Adobe, Dell, SHI) proof of purchase.
- The number of licenses purchased.
- The exact product name.
- The specific edition .
- The version number.
- The software platform (Win/Mac/Both)
- Any Product ID, or Activation Code required to identify that specific license and run that software.
If KeyServed software is not working as intended, assistance is needed with set up, or there is inquiry about what information should be provided to ITS, please contact the ITS Solution Center
at 928-523-1511 or submit a ServiceNow