We recommend that you run the latest service release for Windows XP. For your security and that of all computers at NAU, apply all "critical updates" provided by Microsoft Windows Update.
If you do not install the critical updates, malicious Internet users could read or write any files on your computer and possibly take control of your computer through hidden scripts downloaded in web pages.
If someone breaks into your computer, your computer becomes a threat to all of the other computers on the Internet.
If you need assistance in performing this maintenance on a computer supported by Information Technology Services, please contact the Solution Center (faculty or staff) or the Student Technology Center (students).
1. On the computer that runs Windows XP, confirm that the connection to the
Internet is correctly configured.
2. Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
3. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections.
4. Click "Create a new connection".
5. Select Connect to the network at my workplace. Click on Next.
6. Select Virtual Private Network connection. Click on Next.
7. Type NAU VPN for the Connection Name. Click on Next.
8. If you are prompted, do one of the following:
8.a. If you use a dial-up connection to connect to the Internet, click
"Automatically dial this initial connection", and then, in the list, click
your dial-up Internet connection.
8.b. If you use a full-time connection (such as a cable modem), click "Do not
dial the initial connection".
8.c. Click Next.
9. Type vpn.nau.edu for the name of the VPN server. Click on Next.
10. Select My use only for the Connection Availability. Click on Next.
11. Click to select the "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop" check
box if you want to create a shortcut on the desktop, and then click Finish.
1. Connect to your ISP as you normally would.
2. Click on the shortcut to NAU VPN on your desktop or click on Start --> Control Panel. Then double click on Network Connections. Finally, double click on NAU VPN.
3. Fill in your username** and password in the Connect NAU VPN window.**Faculty and staff, use registered username. For example "xyz4".
**Students, use domain\username. For example "nau-students\abc"
Remember to disconnect from the NAU VPN when you are finished!