Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP)

In-state tuition for certain out-of-state students

Through the WRGP, funding is available for certain out-of-state students to earn their degree at the cost of in-state tuition.

As part of the Student Exchange Program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE), WRGP helps place students in a wide range of graduate programs, all designed around the educational, social, and economic needs of the West. To be included in WRGP, programs must meet criteria of distinctiveness and quality.

The program is offered to you:

(1) IF you are a resident of Alaska, California, Colorado, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming
(2) AND you are an incoming applicant to one of the following NAU degree programs.


Frequently asked questions

How do you apply for WRGP status?

You will be considered for WRGP status at the time of your application to a graduate program listed above. If you do not hear about your WRGP status within four weeks of applying, please fill out the WRGP Application completely and return it to us as described in the application. Only incoming students are eligible to apply for WRGP status to one of the approved WRGP programs.

If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to complete this form, please contact us at gradsuccess@nau.edu.

If you transfer from a WRGP program to a non-WRGP program, your status as a WRGP student will end, and you will be required to pay the tuition applicable to your new status.

WRGP students must fulfill all the usual requirements of the institution concerned and meet all admission deadlines. Students need not meet financial aid criteria.

Please note that students who are approved for the WRGP status are still considered non-residents and are not eligible for in-state tuition waivers.

How do you establish residency for the program?

WRGP is open to all residents of the 15 participating states. Normally, students should be a resident of one of these states for at least one year before applying for admission as a WRGP student. Arizona law requires you to submit proof of U.S. citizenship/legal residency status at the time of application in order to qualify for the WRGP tuition rate.

What does a student do if he/she is billed at the wrong tuition rate?

Occasionally, a student is incorrectly billed for the full nonresident tuition. If this happens, please contact the Graduate College immediately.

Can a student attend part-time as a WRGP student?

Part-time students (matriculated) are eligible to participate if they have been admitted to the program. Please note that your WRGP status is time-limited, and the time limit will be noted in your official letter informing you of your WRGP status.

Who can I contact for more information?

Contact the Graduate College for assistance with the WRGP. For more information on WRGP, visit Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).