After you’ve determined your eligibility, click here to apply.
Students who apply to
the First Scholars program must:
- Be a first-generation student, meaning your parents
have no more than two years of education beyond high school and no
post-secondary degree, including an associates or bachelors' degree.
- Be a first-time freshman who has applied and been
admitted to NAU for the 2016-17 year. This includes submitting appropriate
fees, high school transcripts, and ACT or SAT scores
- Demonstrate financial need and complete the FAFSA/Free
Application for Federal Student Aid online at www.fafsa.gov by Feb. 26, 2016.
- Have an ACT/SAT score(s) between 19-25 or 920-1130
and/or a minimum high school core GPA of 3.0.
- Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen as defined
by federal law.
- Be eligible for in-state tuition.
- Complete the Student Strengths Inventory® (instructions
to complete this assessment will be sent if you're determined eligible to
be a First Scholar, and after the February application deadline).
- Be willing to fully participate in First Scholars
program and activities.
Students selected to
be a First Scholar must:
- Agree to attend an NAU new student Orientation in June
2016, date to be determined.
- Agree to enroll in a designated NAU 100 course for
First Scholars during the fall 2016 semester.
- Agree to live on campus as a freshman in housing
designated for the First Scholars Living-Learning community, and apply for
housing by the required dates.
- Participate in designated retreats, activities,
workshops and service projects.
- Participate in a mentoring program.
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA.
- Transition to leadership roles as an upperclassman.
- Understand that this is a four-year program that helps
students achieve success.
Selection process and dates:
First Scholars will be selected based
on the eligibility criteria and the results of the SSI. If selected, the
program will provide opportunities to maximize success in college and help each
Scholar create an individualized plan.
- Application closes on Feb. 14,
2016 at 11:59 p.m. (all mailed applications must be postmarked by this
- Students will be notified of their
eligibility by Feb. 26, 2016.
- Students will be directed to complete the Student
Strengths Inventory (SSI) assessment starting
approximately Feb. 27, 2016. The SSI must be completed by March
6, 2016 (if an applicant does not complete the SSI by the deadline
they are not eligible to be a First Scholar).
- First Scholars’ Selection Committee’s process runs
March 21 – April 1, 2016.
- Selection date: students will be notified of their
application status by April 11, 2016.
Participating in First Scholars
includes an annual scholarship of $5,000, renewable for an additional three
years for a total maximum award of $20,000.
Each First Scholars recipient will be
granted these one-year scholarships toward undergraduate studies each year,
provided that the student:
- Maintains full-time student status*
- Maintains a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Stays on track to graduate on schedule (earns an
average of 30 credits per academic year).
- Demonstrates commitment and full involvement in the
First Scholars program, including developing and following an
individualized strategic plan and participating in required activities.
- Completes the service requirement for the academic
*NAU defines a full-time student as 12
or more credits per semester. Keep in mind students should aim for 15 credits
per semester (or 30 per year) in order to graduate in four years. The First
Scholars scholarship is renewable for up to four years.