America Reads is a national initiative, established by President Clinton in 1996, which has been designed to ensure that every child learns to read well and independently by the end of third grade. Research shows that if children cannot read well by this time, their chances for success shrink. The Oberlin America Reads Program, which is run through the Bonner Center for Service and Learning at Oberlin College, places federal work-study college students in schools and community centers to assist children with their literacy skills in the hope of fulfilling this challenge.
The America Reads Program's mission is to promote literacy skills in the community by:
- Giving younger children a firm literacy basis.
- Assisting those children who lack the motivation and/or resources to learn to read, helping them to learn to read well and independently.
- Boosting the self-esteem and reading levels of the students who are behind grade level.
- Using our unique position in the classroom to be positive role models, and granting children the one-on-one attention they need to succeed in school.
- Spreading a positive attitude towards education and reading.
Become an America Reads Tutor
The fundamental purpose of the America Reads Program at NAU is to complement and expand existing literacy efforts to help children increase their skills and achievement levels, and to provide children who need additional help in reading with extended learning time.
America Reads employs Federal Work Study eligible, Flagstaff Mountain Campus, Northern Arizona University undergraduate students.
Placements are made at schools within the Flagstaff Unified School District (FUSD) and at the Flagstaff Public Library after-school program. Tutors must be competent in phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary building, spelling, reading comprehension and fluency. Additionally, tutors may be asked to work with basic K-3 math concepts.
To be eligible to apply, applicants must be awarded federal work study, have experience working with children in a formal setting (not babysitting or other informal settings), a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and must reside in the Flagstaff area. Please fill out an application and submit the completed document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tutors are hired at the beginning of each term.