What to Expect
Who can use the climbing facility?
There are several scenarios where you can use the facility:
- All Northern Arizona University students, Health
and Learning Center (HLC) members, and member guests may access the climbing
wall free of charge during open climb hours.
- You can purchase a non-member pass at the front
desk of the Recreation Center when sponsored by a member.
- Participation in clinics and programs
such as family day, as well as climbing competitions is available to HLC
non-members without sponsorship.
- Anyone may rent the climbing wall for a
We encourage Northern Arizona University students, staff,
faculty, and community with all levels of climbing experience and ability to
drop by the wall during open hours. No appointment is necessary, but allow
yourself at least 40 minutes for your first visit.
Simply check in at the desk by the climbing wall where our
friendly staff will:
- give you a blank medical information and informed consent liability waiver to complete. It is mandatory that we have a complete form
for each individual who enters the climbing area. Minors will need to provide a form signed by
a parent or guardian.
- provide you with a facility orientation
- teach you how to check out and use climbing gear
- provide information on how to continue with the sport of climbing
If you are a returning climber to the wall:
- Sign-in at the climbing wall desk.
- Staff will verify that you have completed the
liability form (required only once per year).
- Request any necessary gear.
- Enjoy your climb!
We maintain routes appropriate for climbers of various skill levels. Our routes are designed to help climbers develop and improve technique and to maximize every climber's enjoyment of the sport.
Ascending a given route may include the use of holds as well as features of the wall itself, such as arêtes, bulges, overhangs, and cracks.
All routes are clearly marked with colored tape and rated via the Yosemite Decimal and V-scale systems. Route ratings are subjective by nature and may not be transferable to other gyms or the outdoors.
Route changing frequency
New routes are rotated in on a three- to four-week schedule as old problems are rotated out.
We provide climbers with harnesses, shoes, ropes, and belay devices (if you are certified to use them) free of charge.
If you are borrowing shoes, please bring socks. They are required.
Using your own gear
You are welcome to bring and use your own shoes, harnesses, belay devices, and chalk bags. However, staff have the authority to deem gear inappropriate for use at the climbing wall.