Upward Bound Academy Jobs
Now Hiring for the 2016 Summer Academy
Upward Bound conducts an annual four-week Academy (five weeks for Year 3) on the Northern Arizona University campus. The Academy provides an educationally, enriching, residential program, which introduces students from our four target high schools to the university environment while preparing them academically for institutions of higher learning. The major goal of the Academy is to enable students to successfully live in two worlds: their own, with its rich cultural heritage, and the other world of college life.
Service Learning Leaders
Our team of Service Learning professionals
will facilitate a 45 minute Service Learning class, transport and supervise
students at the assigned service learning site, and ensure communication among
staff, students, and site coordinators.
7 – Tuesday, June 28, 2016.
You are also required to attend a 4 hour van training course, and 2
hours Service Learning professional training in May 2016.
Service Learning Leader Job Description and Deadline:Show Job Description and Deadline
- Work closely with the Program Coordinator, Sr. and Director
- Supervise program participants (9th grade) at Service Learning volunteer locations
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of tasks assigned by site coordinator at volunteer locations
- Transport program participants (9th grade) to Service Learning volunteer locations
- Facilitate a 45 minute Service Learning class prior to each volunteer location visit
- Maintain a positive attitude throughout the program, and present a positive image of NAU and the Office of Student Affairs summer programs.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of Northern Arizona University and the Upward Bound Academy
- Inform the Program Coordinator, Sr. and/or Project Director of events in a timely manner
- All other duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator, Sr. and Director
Due to the demand of these positions, the ideal candidate should:
- Possess Service Learning or other supervisory experience
- Have experience with leading and engaging students in active learning
- Maintain strong interpersonal, public relations and oral communication skills
- Be enthusiastic, self-motivated, dedicated and creative
- Have experience working with multicultural populations
- Be motivated to work with limited supervision
- Have a valid Driver’s License (required)
- Pass Northern Arizona University van training (required)
Application Deadlines: Friday, April 15, 2016
If you have any questions, call (928)523-6986 or email Verlinda.Folgheraiter@nau.edu
Show Job Description and Deadline
Monday, May 30 - Saturday, July 2, 2016
You are also required to attend a half day training class in May 2016.
Supplemental Instructor Job Description and Deadline:
- Participate in the Upward Bound student/parent Orientation
on Monday, May 30, 2016 (a.m.)
- Lead/participate in the Mountain Line trip to Coconino
Community College on Monday, May 30, 2016 (p.m.) for 12 high school students
- Attend Coconino Community College (CCC) course Monday
– Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Communicate with CCC Professor
- Utilize technology for classroom time and assignments
- Conduct two afternoon SI tutorial sessions every
week, Monday & Friday afternoons from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- Provide individual and/or group assistance to
students in assigned CCC subject
- Attend weekly Wednesday afternoon post-secondary
preparation sessions from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Conduct weekly SI evening tutorial sessions, Tuesday
& Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 8:15 p.m.
- Assist students with study skills development
necessary for CCC course
- Cultivate supportive relationships with culturally
- Submit required documentation (e.g. attendance, course
evaluations, etc.) by designated deadline
- Attend Academy graduation on Saturday, July 2,
2016 (9:30 a.m. – Noon)
- Perform other duties as assigned
enrolled college student
Disbursed according to NAU Payroll schedule
- Approximately 19 hours per week for 5 weeks
Application Deadlines: Friday, April 1, 2016
If you have any questions, call (928)523-6984 or email Diana.Betony@nau.edu