Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
Every summer, Northern Arizona University hosts undergraduates from around the country to participate in grant-funded research projects in disciplines such as astronomy, biology, biochemistry, environmental science, and geology
On this page, Summer Research principal investigators, directors, and support staff will find useful information for administering their programs.
Answers to many student participants' questions about admissions, housing, and what to expect are also here.
We hope you have a wonderful experience on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus!
For Summer Research Program Directors and Staff
Sample timeline, letter, and tuition fee waiver forms
Expand the link below to find useful information and forms for administering summer research programs.
Program participant recruitment (Fall semester):
- Create/update program website
- Send program announcements to disciplinary organizations and listserves; also send to NAU's Undergraduate Research Coordinator to put application dates on UG Research webpages and to forward to the Council for Undergraduate Research: Undergraduate Research Program Directors distribution list
- Schedule recruitment visits, if appropriate for your program
- Establish participant review committee, if appropriate
- Open online application in December, with deadline in February or very early March.
This sample REU processes timeline includes important information and suggestions to smooth the procedures for getting summer research students admitted to the university, set up in housing, registered for classes, put on payroll, orienting them to NAU, and reimbursing them for travel.
Sample REU timeline
You may find this sample Letter to Participants helpful in providing instructions to students about travel to Flagstaff, applications to NAU and housing, and payroll requirements.
Sample Participant Letter
These two documents are needed to begin the process of waiving student tuition and fees (if applicable). Complete the spreadsheet and the OGCS form (with the PI and Department/Unit Director signatures) and send both documents to the OVPR office to generate the Request Memo, get all additional required signatures, and forward all documents to the appropriate offices.
Tuition Fee Waiver spreadsheet
OGCS Tuition Fee Waiver form
For Summer Research Program Participants
Expand the link below to find step-by-step instructions to assist you in applying for admission to NAU and summer housing.NAU Application Instructions for Participants
The step-by-step instructions to complete your application for admission to NAU can be found on this webpage.
When you have received your NAU User ID, the next step is to apply for housing. Use this website to
complete the housing application: http://nau.edu/residence-life.
Click on “Login to the Housing Portal” and login with your new NAU User
ID and password.
- Click on the “Housing Options” Link on the
dark blue band on the left side of the page and then on “Summer Housing”
in the same blue band. This will
take you to the Summer Session page.
- Choose “Apply Now” in the box labeled “Apply
for Housing” on upper right and fill in your User ID and password on the
- Click on the “Application” link at the top
of the page and scroll down to select a term: Choose “Summer 2014”.
- Fill in your “Personal Details”.
- When you get to “Summer Details”, indicate your anticipated
arrival and departure dates
- At “Summer Contract Type”, choose “Single
Student Housing”. Fill out the
remainder of the application and submit it using your NAU User ID.
To receive your summer stipend, you will need to complete the Vendor Registration form
(please follow the instructions you received in your information letter).
If you would like your stipend to be put directly into your home bank account, complete the Direct Deposit form