Beyond the classroom
Think critically about what makes a community sustainable
with the The Master of Arts in Sustainable Communities program.
During your education in our interdisciplinary program, you’ll
be encouraged to:
- work closely with the community (volunteering 3 hours per week in your first year)
- think broadly and integrate different types of theories, paradigms, and ways of living
- combine different areas of scholarship to answer your questions
- pursue what you are passionate about
- apply your knowledge and expertise to your own idea about what makes a good and sustainable community
- change the world
Also, you will apply what you learn to the real world by
participating in our Action Based Research Teams (ARTS).
Visions of sustainable communities
“Northern Arizona University's [SUS] program, guided by the theme, ‘Visions of Good and Sustainable Societies,’ is one of the best-implemented programs in the country.
The program effectively integrates contemporary issues that are pertinent to today's society and environment. It's easy to see that it has become a model for every MLS program in the US, Canada, and other regions where graduate liberal studies are developed.”—Dr. Richard Guzman, past President, Association of Graduate Liberal Studies Programs