Women’s Weight Management Program
- Group meetings on Mondays, February 4 – April 15, 5:30 – 7 p.m.
- Group walking activity on Wednesdays, February 6 – April 17, 5:30
– 6:30 p.m. (optional but strongly recommended)
- Cost - $99
The Women’s Weight Management program focuses on the Stoplight Program, a small lifestyle change that helps increase the quality of a person’s diet, as well as increasing daily physical activity.
The Stoplight Program uses the colors of a stoplight to indicate types of food. For instance:
- Green foods are healthy and consist primarily of fruit and vegetables
- Yellow foods are healthy but are higher in calories like whole grains and lean meats
- Red foods generally do not have much nutritional value like high sugar and fatty foods
We will also provide the opportunity to engage in a walking group.
The program is supervised by Dr. Suzanne Daiss. Dr. Daiss is a faculty member in the Department of Psychology and Director of the Health Psychology Center. Dr. Daiss is a clinical health psychologist who specializes in women's health issues. She has more than 28 years experience doing clinical work and has been supervising student clinicians at Northern Arizona University for 25 years. She supervises the groups run by graduate student clinicians.
This program is open to women who
- are aged 25 to 65.
- have a BMI of 25 or over (which is generally at
least 20 pounds overweight). See the BMI chart on the registration page of this site.
- are able to walk and do gentle stretching as part of the program,
which includes wearing a pedometer and increasing step counts over the course
of the program.
- do not have any serious disease that would limit
participation, such as (but not limited to) untreated high blood pressure,
cardiovascular disease, or untreated diabetes.
- do not have current anorexia or bulimia.
- have clearance from your physician to participate. Print a physician's release form in .doc format. Fax the completed form to 523-2440 before the program begins.
- are not participating in another weight loss program during this program (e.g. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig).
- are able to commit to the full 10 week study.
- are ready and willing to make a lifestyle change. This program is designed for women who enjoy group interaction and problem-solving as they work toward their goals.
- are willing to record food intake and step counts.
If there is any question about suitability for
the program, Dr. Daiss will speak with you.
Benefits of participating include receiving a 10 week group-based weight loss
program for $99 (that's less than $10 a week!) and includes an optional physical activity group.
Groups will be held on Monday nights, from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. Wednesday evenings the groups will meet from 5:30 to 6:30 for the walking group. The program will begin February 4th.
In order to help you and your group leader track your progress, two physical assessments will take place.
- waist and hip measurements
These assessments will be conducted prior to the start of the group meetings and at the end of the program.
We are now accepting applications!