Andrew S. Walters, PhD, MPH
MPH Epidemiology, University of California at Berkeley, 1997
PhD Developmental and Health Psychology, University of Georgia, 1992
MA Psychology, Ohio State University, 1988
BS English and Psychology, Ohio State University, 1986
Dr. Walters’ primary interests – broadly defined – are in the areas of human sexuality, masculinity studies, and developmental health.
Dr. Walters’ research investigates how socially disenfranchised and/or medically compromised populations adjust to sexual marginalization by the dominant and powerful cultural systems designed to maintain a hegemonic and singular interpretation of gender and sexuality.
Dr. Walters offers training workshops to sexuality educators from a variety of disciplines through professional organizations such as the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists, and the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality.
- Svetlik, D. S., Dooley, W. K., Weiner, M. F., Williamson, G. M., & Walters, A. S. (2005). Declines in satisfaction with physical intimacy predict caregiver perceptions of overall relationship loss: A study of elderly caregiving dyads. Sexuality and Disability, 23, 65-79.
- Walters, A. S. (2004). Premature ejaculation. In M. Messner & A. Aronson (Eds.), Men & masculinities: A social, cultural, and historical encyclopedia (pp. 622-626). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Moore, L. J., & Walters, A. S. (2004). Safer sex. In M. Messner & A. Aronson (Eds.), Men & masculinities: A social, cultural, and historical encyclopedia (pp. 687-691). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Fisher, T. D., & Walters, A. S. (2003). Variables in addition to gender that help to explain differences in perceived sexual interest. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 4, 154-162.
- Walters, A. S. (2003). Using metaphor to describe the individual dynamics of coming out: Hurdles. In J. S. Whitman & C. J. Boyd (Eds.), The therapist’s notebook for lesbian, gay, and bisexual clients: Homework, handouts, and activities for use in psychotherapy (pp. 6-13). Binghamton, NY: Haworth.
- Walters, A. S., & Moore, L. J. (2002). Attention all shoppers, queer customers in aisle two: Investigating lesbian and gay discrimination in the marketplace. Consumption, Markets and Culture, 5, 285-303.
- Williamson, G. M., Walters, A. S., & Shaffer, D. R. (2002). Caregiver models of self and others, coping, and depression: Predictors of depression in children with chronic pain. Health Psychology, 21, 405-410.
Dr. Walters teaches classes in child and adolescent development, human sexuality, and community psychology.