Course substitution and waiver policy
- Course waivers refer to degree requirements that are waived based on classes that students have taken prior to entering the program, including courses transferred from another institution.
- Course substitutions refer to replacing a course that is required for a degree with another course, mostly because (1) a required course is not offered in a timely manner for the student to graduate, or (2) a legitimate conflict prevents the student from taking a required class.
- Course waiver and course substitution policies only apply to Department degree requirements; these policies do not apply to Liberal Studies and other University requirements.
- Undergraduate curriculum: all course waivers and course substitutions are determined and approved by the student's adviser. When deemed appropriate by the adviser, the instructor of the required course shall be consulted to determine the suitability of the waiver or substitution.
- Graduate curriculum: course waivers and course substitutions are determined and approved by the student's major adviser in consultation with either (1) the student's thesis committee or, if such a committee has not been established, (2) the graduate program coordinator or the Department Chair. As much as possible, the adviser will also consult the instructor of the required course to determine the suitability of the waiver or substitution.
approved 13 November 2002
Course requisite override policy
approved 13 October 2003
- Who in your units will authorize waiver of course requisites?
- COURSE INSTRUCTORS
- DEPT CHAIR AS A LAST RESORT IF INSTRUCTOR CANNOT BE LOCATED IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME AND TIMELINESS IS AN ISSUE
- Who in your unit will enter course requisites overrides in the system?
- How will decisions about course requisite waivers be tracked and communicated in your unit?
- MEMO SIGNED BY COURSE INSTRUCTOR--MEMO GETS PLACED IN STUDENTS FOLDER, OR RETURNED TO INSTRUCTOR IF STUDENT IS NOT OUR MAJOR
- MEMO SIGNED BY DEPT CHAIR--MEMO GETS PLACED IN STUDENTS FOLDER IF OUR MAJOR, COPY TO COURSE INSTRUCTOR
- Will a form be created, and if so, whose signature will be required?
- What criteria will be used to authorize a course requisite waiver?
- INSTRUCTOR'S DISCRETION; DEPT CHAIR'S DISCRECTION ONLY WHEN NECESSARY