Geographic Information Systems (GIS) certificate
Our GIS graduate certificate will give you the skills you
need to launch a rewarding career in a growing and enjoyable field.
This 20-unit certificate can be completed either online or
A sequence of five required courses provides intensive
- fundamental GIS principles
- software operations
- enterprise geodatabase development and
- advanced spatial analysis skills
- GIS programming
The certificate program is enhanced by our state-of-the-art GIS lab facilities. Distance students can enjoy
cutting-edge software (ArcGIS software family) by logging in to our virtual labs.
Courses and certificate information
Check out the courses you will take.
Go to the NAU
academic catalog for additional details on courses and certificate information. (In the Search Degrees box, enter
To apply for the GIS graduate certificate:
- Write a one-page Statement of Interest to the department in which you explain: (a) Why do you want to pursue this certificate? (b) What are your educational goals?
- Complete the application form on
the Graduate College website; include your Statement of Interest and a scanned copy of your previous college transcripts.
- Arrange for an official copy of your previous college transcripts to be submitted to the NAU Graduate College.
- Arrange for a reference to submit a letter through the NAU Graduate College website (information on doing this will be provided when you submit the application form).
This program carries a $249 program fee ($199 for early applications) *, which is used to support the software
and technology that is necessary to provide students with the most current
skills in GIS. The fee is due one month after your first semester in the
*The GIS Certificate Program Fee is posted on your NAU account after the University's official 21 day student headcount, which is approximately three weeks after the start of classes. The university's state budget is set on this date, which determines the department's allocation of funds to offer classes and student services. The GIS Certificate Fee is used to support the GIS software and technology that is necessary to provide students with the most current skills in GIS. The fee is not refundable after the university's 21 day student headcount.
Please see our FAQ for Graduate Certificate Applicants.