Class meets Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. at the Health and Learning Center, Room 2405.
Offered in conjunction with the Kachina Peaks Avalanche Center: A student who attends this free 2-hour clinic is expected to gain a foundational understanding of:
- Backcountry skiing or snowboarding preparedness;
- Where and when avalanches occur;
- Historical perspectives of avalanche occurrences on San Francisco Peaks;
- Statistics on avalanche fatalities of the past (Nationwide);
- Human factors in avalanche accidents;
- Safe travel principles; and
- Avalanche self-rescue tools and their uses
A representative from the Coconino National Forest will be on hand to answer questions and issue Backcountry Permits for the Kachina Peaks Wilderness Area. Remember, if you're going backcountry out of the Snowbowl, you need this free permit.
Days: 2 hours
Physical Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5
Activity: Avalanche Awareness