Build a Kit
A disaster supplies kit is simply a collection of basic
items you may need in the event of an emergency.
Try to assemble your kit well in advance of an emergency.
You may have to evacuate at a moment’s notice and take essentials with you. You
will probably not have time to search for the supplies you need or shop for
You may need to survive on your own after an emergency. This
means having your own food, water and other supplies in sufficient quantity to
last for at least 72 hours. University
officials and relief workers will be on the scene after a disaster but they may
not be able to reach everyone immediately.
A basic kit usually consists of the following:
- Non-perishable and high energy food items
- Water in bottles or other sealed container
(must be properly safeguarded)
- First Aid Kit
- Warm Clothes (like sweatshirts and coats)
- Comfortable Shoes and Socks
- Flashlight & Batteries
- Battery operated radio and batteries
- Cash, About $20
- Extra Charger for your cell phone
- Books, playing cards, etc
Contents should be kept in a backpack and contents reviewed
every six months.