NAU's Marshall Representative: Melissa Hatfield Riggs
Internal Deadline to Apply Through NAU: July 14 preliminary materials
Official Website: http://www.marshallscholarship.org/
What does the Marshall fund?
Marshall Scholarships ordinarily provide for two years of post-baccalaureate study at any university in the United Kingdom, with the possibility of a third year for students continuing for a doctorate. In special circumstances, students may apply for a one-year scholarship only.
As future leaders, with a lasting understanding of British society, Marshall Scholars strengthen the enduring relationship between the British and American peoples, their governments, and their institutions.
- Be a citizen of the U.S.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. by September 2015
- Have graduated from college or university after April 2012
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.7
- Not have studied for or hold a degree or degree-equivalent from a British university
Criteria for Selection
Candidates must have the potential to excel as scholars, as leaders, and as contributors to improved UK-US understanding. Must have a compelling reason to study in the UK.
There are three equally weighted selection criteria:
- Academic merit
- Leadership potential
- Ambassadorial potential
- Rank two university choices/plans
- NAU endorsement letter
- Four letters of recommendation
- List of principal activities
- Three essays: Personal statement, Academic program/outlined research proposal, Ambassadorial potential
- Hard-copy transcripts with five copies
- Finalist interview (Los Angeles, early-mid November)
NAU Internal Deadline Requirements and Process
- Explore the Marshall website thoroughly.
- Notify the Marshall Representative of your interest and make an appointment as soon as possible.
- Review Tips for Applications section.
- Send a detailed resume, unofficial transcript, info form, and draft essays to the Marshall Representative by July 14, 2014.
- Have references send their letters to the Marshall Representative before uploading.
- Work with the Marshall Representative and your network/academic mentors for feedback on subsequent drafts up until September 24.
- Finalized online application one week earlier than the official deadline of October 1, 2014.
Please refer your recommendation writers to my Tips for Recommenders. Please also see applicant tips on Working with References.
I absolutely want to review recommendation letters or forms before they
are uploaded to the scholarship application site, so ask your writers
to send their letter first to me at Melissa.Riggs@nau.edu.