NAU's Marshall Representative: Melissa Hatfield Riggs
Internal Deadline to Apply Through NAU: July 6 preliminary materials
Official Website: http://www.marshallscholarship.org/
What does the Marshall fund?
Marshall Scholarships ordinarily provide for two years of post-baccalaureate study at any university in the United Kingdom, with the possibility of a third year for students continuing for a doctorate. In very special circumstances, students may apply for a one-year scholarship only.
As future leaders, with a lasting understanding of British society, Marshall Scholars strengthen the enduring relationship between the British and American peoples, their governments, and their institutions.
- Be a citizen of the U.S.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. by September 2016
- Have graduated from college or university after April 2013
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.7
- Not have studied for or hold a degree or degree-equivalent from a British university
Criteria for Selection
Candidates must have the potential to excel as scholars, as leaders, and as contributors to improved UK-US understanding. Must have a compelling and logical reason to study in the UK.
There are three equally weighted selection criteria:
- Academic merit
- Leadership potential
- Ambassador potential
- Rank two university choices/plans
- NAU endorsement letter
- Four letters of recommendation
- List of principal activities
- Four essays: Personal statement, Academic program/outlined research proposal, Ambassador potential, Leadership.
- Post-tenure plan
- Hard-copy transcript(s)
- Finalist interview (Los Angeles, early-mid November)
NAU Internal Deadline Requirements and Process
- Explore the Marshall website thoroughly. Create an account to apply.
- Notify me as the Marshall Representative of your intent to apply and feel free to make an appointment to discuss (in person or via Skype).
- Review my Tips for Applications section. See Ambassador Potential essay advice.
- Send a detailed resume, unofficial transcript, info form, and drafts of the Academic Program and Leadership essays to the Marshall Representative by or before July 6, 2015.
- Personal Statement, Ambassador Potential, and Post Scholarship Plan essays to the Marshall Representative by or before July 20.
- Finish the complete application draft no later than August 3 for representative's review.
- Have references send their letters to the Marshall Representative by August 3 (before uploading).
- Work with the Marshall Representative and your network/academic mentors throughout for feedback on multiple drafts.
- Finalized online application no later than September 23 to avoid system overload and for final feedback from the Representative; the official deadline is October 1, 2015.
Please refer your recommendation writers to my Tips for Recommenders and to Marshall's Information for Recommenders. Please also see check applicant tips on Working with References.
I absolutely want to review recommendation letters before they
are uploaded to the scholarship application site, so ask your writers
to send their letter to me by or before August 3 at Melissa.Riggs@nau.edu.