NASS Scholars Program
This Native American Student Services (NASS) program is designed for first year Native American, Alaskan Native, and Native Hawaiian freshmen students. The program is designed to increase retention by providing a strong support network, and co-curricular activities that help students develop and enhance academic and personal skills for a successful college experience. Students who participate in the program will receive many benefits:
- Students will be enrolled in a First Year Seminar (FYS) course which will allow students to explore and engage in challenging, fun, and interesting current topics. Students will earn 3 credit hours toward their liberal studies that count towards their graduation requirements;
- Be paired with a professional NASS staff member who will provide one-to-one guidance and support services on academics, financial/tribal aid, personal, cultural, and social connection;
- Be paired with a Peer Mentor who will provide additional support to help student transition to college life and meet other new students;
- Develop academic and personal skills for success at Northern Arizona University;
- Learn about campus resources and other educational opportunities
To be accepted into the program, new freshmen students will need to meet the following criteria:
- be a new first year freshman (0-29 units) admitted in Summer 2015, Fall 2015, or Spring 2016
- have been admitted and paid the $325* enrollment deposit and must complete the Priority Enrollment (PE) profile** which will be emailed to your NAU email account (after fee has been submitted);
* fee may be deferred if Pell eligible - student must contact Undergraduate Admissions to inquire about a deferment
** indicate within the PE profile comments that you are interested in the "NASS Scholars Program"
- attending the NAU Flagstaff campus
- belong to a federally-recognized Native American/Alaskan
Native tribe or are Native Hawaiian
- have a core high school GPA of 2.75 or above
To SIGN-UP for this unique support program, please complete and return a Program Intent Form (download PDF, submit on-line).
For more information, contact Native American Student Services at 928-523-8086 or 1-877-523-8125 (if calling outside of Flagstaff).