NASS Scholars Program
This Native American Student Services (NASS) program is designed for first year Native American, Alaskan Native, and Native Hawaiian freshmen students. The program is designed to increase retention by providing a strong support network, and co-curricular activities that help students develop and enhance academic and personal skills for a successful college experience. Students who participate in the program will receive many benefits:
- Students will enroll in first and second semester courses to help ease the transition to college-level work. Our First Year Seminar (FYS) 141 courses will allow students to explore and engage in challenging, fun, and interesting current topics. Students will earn credit hours toward their NAU graduation requirements;
- Receive professional one-to-one guidance and support services from NASS staff on academics, financial/tribal aid, personal, cultural, and social connection;
- Be paired with a Peer Mentor who will provide additional support to help student transition to college life and meet other new students;
- Develop academic and personal skills for success at Northern Arizona University;
- Learn about campus resources and other educational opportunities
New FRESHMEN students will automatically be accepted into the program if the following are met:
- have been admitted and paid the $325 enrollment deposit (or fee may be deferred if Pell eligible - student must contact Undergraduate Admissions to inquire about a deferment)
- attending the NAU Flagstaff campus
- are a new first year freshman (0-29 units) admitted in Summer or Fall 2014
- belong to a federally-recognized Native American/Alaskan
Native tribe or Native Hawaiian
- have a core high school GPA of 2.75 or above (college preparatory courses)
- are not participating in the STAR or SSS programs; any student who is participating in any of these programs is ineligible for the NASS Scholars Program.
NOTE: Freshmen students will be required to accept or decline participation by completing a Program Intent Form; this offer to participate is on a first-come, first serve opportunity with only 100 program slots available.
For more information, contact Native American Student Services at 928-523-8086 or 1-877-523-8125 (if calling outside of Flagstaff).