Peer Facilitator Mentor
The PEERS (Providing Encouragement to Empower and Retain
Students) Program helps new Native American, Alaskan Native, and Native Hawaiian freshmen students have
a smooth transition to university life by assisting in selected First Year Seminar (FYS) courses. There are two types of Peer Facilitator Mentors (PFM), some will work with our NASS Scholars students in a FYS class setting and the other will work with the NASS Connections program (no classroom setting).
- Strong leadership skills and enthusiasm for helping other
- Organized, dependable, and possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Outgoing personality and an interest in sharing personal collegiate experiences
- Positive attitude and knowledge of NAU support services/resources/programs
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively in-person (in front of up to 25 students in a class or in a group presentation setting), phone, email, social media
- Self-motivated and works well in a team environment
- Currently enrolled as a full-time Flagstaff
campus student for the 2016-17 year
- Sophomore status or higher (30 units or more)
as an undergraduate student
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher (be on track towards a 3.0 cgpa)
- Commit 15 hours/week to the position
- One year of experience living and/or
working with Native American, Alaskan Native and/or Native Hawaiian populations
- Clean background and driving record (with valid state driver's license)
- Commitment to complete required training (August 15-19, 2016)
- Willing to work some weekends and/or evenings (with advance notification)
CRLA Certified Level 1 Training is required for mentors during the week of August 15-19, 2016 (8am-5pm/days). Additional required training will be available online and in the month of April and May 2016. CRLA certification is available upon completion of training and direct mentoring hours.
Positions have been filled at this time for the 2016-17 academic year.
For more information, contact Sharon Doctor at 928-523-6960 or Simon Chief at 928-523-8061.