GI Bill®

Through the GI Bill®, you have access to a variety of education benefits. Read below to find out more information on eligibility and receiving your benefits.

How to receive GI Bill® benefits

Follow these steps to apply for and receive GI Bill® benefits:

  • Apply using VA Form 22-1990 through VONAPP, or mail the completed form to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
  • If you are applying for Survivors and Dependents Assistance, you must use VA Form 22-5490.
  • If you are applying for the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefit, you must meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC), who will evaluate your eligibility.
  • You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. Provide a copy to the Northern Arizona University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
  • Once you have enrolled in classes for the semester, submit an Educational Benefits Certification Request to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
  • The Educational Benefits Certification Request form must be completed after enrolling in classes each semester, or when your class schedule has changed for any reason.
  • If you are concurrently enrolled in classes at another institution that applies toward your degree program, and Northern Arizona University is your parent school, indicate this on your Educational Benefits Certification Request form.
  • Send a copy of your class schedule to the Office of Financial Aid. Northern Arizona University will correspond with the other institution in which you are enrolled.
  • Each month, you must confirm your enrollment through the VA Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system, or call 1-877-823-2378.

Post-9/11 GI Bill®, Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides up to 36 non-consecutive months of educational and housing support to honorably discharged veterans with at least 90 days of military service after September 10, 2011.

Read more

Active duty and National Guard/Reserve members are not eligible for this benefit.

Deposits for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® are made automatically. There is no need to confirm enrollment each month.

For questions regarding how to transfer chapter 33 benefits to eligible dependents, please see the VA’s Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits page.

The MGIB-SR program provides up to 36 months of education benefits.

Read more

The Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program is available to members of the:

  • Army Reserve
  • Navy Reserve
  • Air Force Reserve
  • Marine Corps Reserve
  • Coast Guard Reserve
  • Army National Guard
  • Air National Guard

Eligibility typically ends the day you leave the Selected Reserve. 

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), Chapter 1607

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program provides educational assistance to Reserve members called to active duty in cases of war or national emergency. Some reservists activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 may be eligible for education or increased benefits.

Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty, Chapter 30

The Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) program provides up to 36 months of educational benefits while you’re on active duty or within 10 years of separation from active duty. 

Survivors and Dependents Assistance, Chapter 35

Survivors and Dependents Assistance, also called the Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program, provides eligible dependents of certain veterans with up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits generally extend to dependents of veterans who were disabled or killed in action, or died as a result of a service-related injury.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, Chapter 31

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefit provides employment assistance and independent-living resources to veterans and active duty members with service-related disabilities.

For more information or questions on the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program, contact the Northern Arizona University Office of Military and Veteran Affairs at 928-523-8387, or e-mail us