Inserting a hyperlink
You can link to external websites, other webpages in Ektron CMS and to documents (.pdf, .doc, .xls, and .ppt).
How to insert a hyperlink
- Highlight selected text where the hyperlink should appear.
- Select the “Hyperlink Manager” icon from the toolbar (the globe with connected link). A new window will open.
- Input the web address to the hyperlinked page. You can either hyperlink to an external page, another page within the CMS (on the university website) or a .pdf, .doc, .xls or .ppt file.
- If you hyperlink to an external page, be sure to input “http:// …”.
- If you link to another page in the CMS or a document loaded in your "_Forms" folder, select the ellipses icon and navigate to the page or document within the CMS (if you don’t see your page in the list, make sure that “Quicklinks” is selected in the drop-down box. See image below).
- Double click the page/document title to add, or select the “Insert” icon (book with an arrow).
- Input the link text to be displayed in the “Link Text” box.
- Place the same text in the “Tooltip” box. The text in the tool box can be read by visual readers, make sure the hyperlink accurate reflects the page linked to.
- If you are linking to a page not directly affiliated with Northern Arizona University or to a document, select the “Target” drop-down box and choose “New Window.”
- Select “OK.”
- Your link should now display in the “Page Content” section.
Open a link in a new window
When a link leads to a website that is not an NAU site or to a document (.pdf, .doc, .xls or .ppt), it's a general rule to have it open in a new window. That way, users can navigate the non-NAU site or review the document, yet easily return once they're finished.
To do this, right click on the link to the site or .pdf and choose "Set link properties."
A new window will open with hyperlink options. Select the "Target" dropdown list and choose the "New window" option. Click OK.
Once you publish the page, the link will now open in a new window or tab in the user's web browser.