How to add a new page
There are two primary page types: standard pages and open pages.
Page names (titles)
Page names or titles are important since they appear in the page's URL and bread crumb trail. Both the URL and bread crumb trail help site visitors easily identify where they are, and therefore it is important to follow a couple guidelines.
Name the home page "Welcome"
- Reason: Maintains consistency across all sites.
Do not use the name of your folder in the title of your page
- Reason: The name your folder and will show up on the URL and breadcrumb trail next to the page name. See images below where "Art Museum" is the name of the folder and "Mission Statement" is the name of the page.
- Exception: The contact page will include the name of your folder.
Use no more than 2 – 3 words
Use a space between words
- Reason: More words, or even long words, end up making a long URL and the page title may not even fit in the area for the bread crumb trail.
- Try this instead: Pick key words to use. Using relevant words will help improve search results.
No special characters
- Reason: The CMS will replace your space with a dash (-) in the URL of your page. For example, a title of "Sample Page" will appear as "nau.edu/Sample-Page" in the URL.
Capitalize words – unless they are an article (ex. and, the, an)
- Reason: The CMS will replace special characters such as: %, $, *, @, _, etc. with a dash (-), so it makes a "cleaner" URL to leave them out.
- Reason: This will make the URL and bread crumb trail easier to read.
Naming your page:
Page Name appearing in the URL and breadcrumb trail:
Add a new page
- Select the “Content” tab.
- Navigate to the appropriate working folder.
- Select “New” (star icon), then click on “Smart
- Select a page type, and you will be taken to the
- 95% of your pages will use the template "Page-Standard". "Page-Open" is used as a landing page to direct visitors to other places on the site. One example of a Page-Open is NAU Experience page that points the visitor in four different directions. Contact EDEN-Help@nau.edu (3-9267) if you have any questions on the Smart Form template to use.
- Title the page by typing in the “Title” box.
- Note: Titles should be capitalized, descriptive, but very concise.
- Create a heading for the page by typing in the
“Page Heading” box. The page heading will be visible as an H2 on the final
- Enter text, if desired, into the “Summary”
section by clicking on the “Summary” tab and typing or pasting text into the
text field (if no text is entered, this is automatically populated with the first
few lines of the Page Content Section).
- Modify the Metadata for the page to assign page layouts and to add keywords. See “Editing Metadata” section.
- The “Alias” tab is part of the URL of the page.
This is assigned automatically; it is best not to change it.
- If there is content on your page that needs to
be changed periodically, click on the “Schedule” tab (otherwise, skip this
step). Ideally, pages should be checked/updated at least once per year.
Select “Publish” (page with green arrow pointing
right) to publish the page to the website.In order to navigate to this new page, consider adding it to the menu on your left navigation.
- Enter a “Start Date”, if desired, by clicking
the calendar icon with a green plus sign to the right of the “Start Date”
field. You can leave this part empty if you would like the schedule to apply as
soon as you create the page.
- Enter an “End Date” in the same way. At this end
date, you can choose for the page to “Archive and remove from site (expire),” “Archive and remain on site," or “Add to the CMS Refresh Report” (recommended).