Liberal studies requirements
You must take 35 credits of liberal studies courses to earn your
bachelor’s degree.View requirements
Liberal studies requirements include:
- 7 credits of foundation requirements
- 4 credits of English
- 3 credits of math
- 28 credits of distribution requirements
- 7 credits of Science and Applied Science, to include at least one lab science
- 6 credits of Social and Political Worlds (SPW)
- 6 credits of Aesthetic and Humanistic Inquiry (AHI)
- 6 credits of Cultural Understanding (CU)
- 3 additional credits of any liberal studies distribution course
- 6-7 credits within your major, broken into:
- 3-4 credits of Junior-Level Writing
- 3 credits of a Senior Capstone
- Note: freshman seminars are an option in fulfilling distribution requirements
Junior-Level Writing requirement
You are required to take one Junior Level Writing course. Courses that satisfy this requirement are designated with a “W” at the end of the course number. These courses engage you in the writing process within the context of a discipline or profession.
Search courses that satisfy the Junior-Level Writing requirement.
You are required to take one Senior Capstone course. These courses are designated with a “C” at the end of the course number. Capstone courses are designed to culminate experiences in your major, and involve application, synthesis, practice, or inquiry.
Search courses that satisfy the Senior Capstone requirement.
In addition, you have the opportunity to take an optional 3-credit First Year Seminar. This seminar may be used in the distribution block to which the topic most appropriately applies.
The NAU academic catalog is the official, authoritative source for all academic requirements and policies. Any discrepancies in curricular requirements from other sources will default to the catalog as the official, authoritative source.