In January 2014, the LGBTQIA Commission Scholarship Fund was created to 'provide scholarship support to active members of the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) Northern Arizona University community'. This is the first official scholarship at NAU geared towards the LGBTQ population.
To qualify as an 'endowed scholarship' that will generate funds in perpetuity, the scholarship fund must reach a minimum of $25,000.
*Please note, the scholarship is still being funded and currently is unable to accept applications. Please help spread the word to help us reach our fundraising goal so we can begin distributing awards!*
Once funded, scholarship applications will be considered in Spring Semesters and awards will be distributed the following academic year.
- Current freshman, sophomore, or junior status on NAU campus
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 (where 4.0 equals an A)
- Demonstrated involvement in LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) community activities on campus in a leadership role
- Completion of a 1,000 words or fewer essay addressing the following:
- Provide a brief personal background
- Describe your leadership role and involvement within LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) community activities on campus
- Describe how this scholarship will assist you in reaching your career/personal goals and objectives, and any special circumstances of which the scholarship selection committee should be aware.
(Preference may be given to student(s) demonstrating financial need.)
How to donate
Contributions can be made through the NAU Foundation online by selecting Fund #5375. Student organizations or other groups who wish to gain more information, please contact us at LGBTQIA.Commission@nau.edu