International Travel Insurance

State Risk Management provides several insurance coverage programs for University related international travel.  Some programs are exclusively for University employees traveling or stationed abroad in the course and scope of their job duties.  Other programs are available to students and volunteers traveling abroad as part of a University sponsored program.  This section outlines these coverages and provides links to additional information for University travelers.  The insurance coverage described herein is provided at no cost to University travelers or their departments and is automatically in force for qualified individuals to the limitations described below.

Insurance programs available to NAU employees

University faculty and staff have workers’ compensation coverage while stationed or traveling abroad in the course and scope of their employment.  In addition, employees traveling on university business (anywhere in the world) have liability coverage while acting in the course and scope of their University employment.  The following link details State Risk Management’s program: International Insurance Program.

Insurance program available to NAU students

Enrolled NAU students participating in a one credit hour or more study, internship, service learning, or research program abroad will be required, and automatically enrolled, in the NAU International Health Insurance Plan administered by HTH Worldwide.  More information about the plan can be found at the Center for International Education’s website.

Insurance programs available to NAU students, chaperones, and registered volunteers

Enrolled University students, chaperones, and registered volunteers traveling outside the United States on University business have limited accident insurance (at no cost) secured by State Risk Management.  The benefits, limited by the insurance policy, are excess over all other valid and collectible insurances that the traveler may already have in place.  The following link provides details of State Risk Management’s program:  

Foreign Travel Accident and Sickness Benefits

Travel Assistance Program for University employees, enrolled students, and registered volunteers

Executive Assistance Services (general travel assistance and security assistance) is available to all University employees, enrolled students, and registered volunteers while traveling outside the U.S. on University business or as part of a University sponsored program or activity.  These services can assist University travelers in difficult or problem circumstances during a trip.  Services include assistance with emergency medical issues, lost documents, translation services, embassy information, repatriation, and emergency evacuation.  A complete list of services and instructions for accessing assistance are available in the following link:  Travel Assistance.  The State recommends University travelers print out the document to take with them. 

Travel warnings

U.S. State Department travel warnings lists two general levels of urgency.  The first group includes warnings of heightened risk of travel to a particular country.  The second, more urgent type of warnings, may forbid, restrict, or otherwise urge U.S. citizens to defer travel to a particular country.  The U.S. State Department warnings are available online:  Travel Warnings

Travel to sanctioned countries

For any person traveling to a country with a trade sanction, there is no coverage (nor any service from Executive Assistance) if the person conducts an illegal or sanctioned activity.  A list of sanctioned countries and summaries concerning travel are available on the website of The Office of Foreign Assets Control

“The Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorism sponsoring organizations, and international narcotics traffickers based on U.S. foreign policy and national security goals.  OFEC acts under Presidential wartime and national emergency powers, as well as authority granted by specific legislation, to impose controls on transactions and freeze foreign assets under U.S. jurisdiction.  Many of the sanctions are based on United Nations and other international mandates, are multilateral in scope, and involve close cooperation with allied governments.”

Travel to war zones

If a University employee plans travel to a trade sanctioned country, there is a high likelihood that country may also have other high travel risks, political or social unrest, or war.  Such countries are subject to change.

Any individual wishing to travel to a war zone on University business must contact the Insurance Officer at Property and Liability Insurance Services to determine the current insurance coverage status for the country or countries traveled.  Visit the following State Risk Management link for a list of countries with a known war risk:  Bulletin on War


For insurance questions, please e-mail and for claims questions, please e-mail

State Risk Management Insurance Analyst:  Kurt Willan, 602-542-5372, Kurt.Willan@AZDOA.GOV