Recruiting for diversity
Affirmative Action Plan
Northern Arizona University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
institution. Supervisors are responsible for increasing representation of
underrepresented groups as outlined in the Affirmative Action Plan.
Personal and professional
- Expect everyone in your department to be
a recruiter for your open positions.
- Have each person be responsible for
referring at least two individuals to your posting.
- Don't pass up recruiting currently-employed
- Identify minority organizations and send
- Make a personal phone call and discuss
your opening with the organization.
- Write your job announcement with
diversity and cultural awareness in mind.
- Don't rely on Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action statements.
- A well-written ad or announcement will
attract a more diverse pool of applicants.
Give a job posting enough
- Work with Human Resources to
understand the diversity of your pool as it develops.
- Consider keeping the posting
open longer if the diversity is not sufficient.
- Don't stop recruiting until
the job closes.