You can enroll your eligible dependents in medical, dental, and vision coverage.

Dependents are defined as:

  • your spouse (opposite sex or same sex)
  • your and/or spouse's children

Children are defined as:

  • biological children
  • legally adopted children
  • children placed for adoption
  • children under legal guardianship substantiated by a court order
  • foster children
  • children who are entitled to coverage under a medical support order

Children are eligible for dependent coverage until their 26th birthday regardless of employment, marital, school enrollment, or other status.

Documenting Dependent Eligibility

If you elect to cover dependents (child, spouse, etc.) under the Blue Cross and Blue Shield PPO medical plan sponsored by the university, their eligibility is subject to a documentation review to ensure they meet the eligibility requirements under the plan.

  • Soon after enrolling, you will receive an email from .
  • You need to follow the steps outlined in the email on how to document your dependent.
  • Documentation must be submitted to HMS within 25 days of receiving the email.
  • If you fail to provide all the requested documentation to HMS within the 25 days allotted, your dependents will not be eligible for medical, dental or vision coverage.

Change in Dependent Eligibility

If you have a dependent who becomes ineligible, you must remove them from your plan.  If the loss of coverage is due to a qualified life event, you can submit the change immediately.

Otherwise, you can make the change during annual open enrollment if you have neglected to do so as outlined in the qualified life event criteria.