You can enroll your eligible dependents in medical, dental, and vision coverage.
Dependents are defined as:
- your spouse under a legally-valid existing marriage. The university also requires that your spouse is financially interdependent.
- your and/or spouse's children
- your domestic partner who is financially interdependent, and
- the children of your eligible domestic partner
Children are defined as:
- biological children
- legally adopted children
- children placed for adoption
- children under legal guardianship substantiated by a court order
- foster children
- children who are entitled to coverage under a medical support order
Children are eligible for dependent coverage until their 26th birthday regardless of employment, marital, school enrollment, or other status.
Qualified Domestic Partner
An individual who is the same or opposite sex and who has shared a long-term committed Domestic Partnership relationship which includes financial interdependence with the eligible employee for a minimum of the last 12 months.
- Same Sex Domestic Partners - Your same sex domestic partner that meets the university's eligibility requirements is eligible for health care and educational assistance benefits.
- Opposite Domestic Partners - Until December 31, 2014, the university will offer health care and educational assistance benefits to your eligible opposite sex domestic partners.
All enrollment selections for domestic partners are submitted to the HR Benefits team via paper forms for processing and should be accompanied by the necessary eligibility documentation.
Documenting Dependent Eligibility
If you elect to cover dependents (child, spouse, etc.) under the Blue Cross and Blue Shield PPO medical plan sponsored by the university, their eligibility is subject to a documentation review to ensure they meet the eligibility requirements under the plan.
- Soon after enrolling, you will receive an email from email@example.com .
- You need to follow the steps outlined in the email on how to document your dependent.
- Documentation must be submitted to HMS within 25 days of receiving the email.
- If you fail to provide all the requested documentation to HMS within the 25 days allotted, your dependents will not be eligible for medical, dental or vision coverage.
Change in Dependent Eligibility
If you have a dependent who becomes ineligible, you must remove them from your plan. If the loss of coverage is due to a qualified life event, you can submit the change immediately.
Otherwise, you can make the change during annual open enrollment if you have neglected to do so as outlined in the qualified life event criteria.