Changing Your Benefits
Once you make your benefit elections, you will not be able to make changes until the beginning of the next plan year unless you experience a Qualified Life Event (QLE).
These certain changes in your life can qualify you for a special enrollment period to change your benefit coverage during the calendar year. You will only be able to make changes to your benefits that are consistent with your event.
In most cases, you will be required to submit supporting documentation confirming the reason for your qualified event. Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act
Pursuant to the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA), the following events are considered QLEs as of April 1, 2009:
- you or your dependent loses Medicaid/CHIPRA coverage
- you or your dependent becomes eligible for Medicaid/CHIPRA premium assistance
Under CHIPRA, you have 60 days following the event to request a change to your benefits plan.
Do not delay your request
To be eligible for this special enrollment period, you must request the change to your benefits and complete the enrollment process within 31 days of your QLE. Do not delay initiating your QLE request even if you are waiting to receive the required supporting documentation such as a birth certificate.
Failure to meet the 31-day deadline may:
- jeopardize your ability to make changes to your benefit plan
- result in the loss of coverage for you and/or your eligible dependent(s)
- result in the loss of COBRA rights for your dependent(s)
How to change your benefits
You have 31 days from the date of the QLE to complete the QLE process.
- Submit an online notification using the Qualified Life Event Form
- Human Resources will review your request and provide you with more instructions
- Submit the supporting documentation requested by Human Resources
- Human Resources will open an enrollment access for you in Self Service
- Make changes to your benefit plan(s) online through Self-Service