Eligibility and Enrollment


You are eligible for benefits if you:

  • are employed at least 20 hours per week
  • are employed in a position that is six months or longer in duration

  • Graduate assistants are not eligible for voluntary benefits.

What if I do not work in a benefit eligible job?

Effective Dates

You have 31 days from your date of hire to make your benefit elections for your optional benefits. 

  • Your benefits will be effective the first of the pay period following your completed enrollment.
  • If you don't enroll within the 31 days, your benefits will be waived and you will have to wait until the next open enrollment period in the fall.
  • Enrollment includes submitting all required forms and supporting documentation and completing the on-line enrollment. 

Learn how to enroll in your voluntary benefits.


You can enroll your eligible dependents in medical dental and vision coverage.

A spouse as designated by a legally valid existing marriage certificate acknowledged by the State of Arizona.  

Biological children, legally adopted children, step-children, children of a qualified domestic partner, children placed for adoption, children under legal guardianship substantiated by a court order, foster children, children who are entitled to coverage under a medical support order, and disabled dependent children over age 26 are eligible.  

Children are eligible for dependent coverage until their 26th birthday regardless of employment, marital, school enrollment, or other status.

Qualified Domestic Partner

An individual who is the same or opposite sex who has shared a long-term committed Domestic Partnership relationship with the eligible employee for a minimum of the last 12 months including financial interdependence.

  • Same Sex Domestic Partners - Your same sex domestic partner that meets the university's eligibility requirements is eligible health care and educational assistance benefits.
  • Opposite Domestic Partners - Until December 31, 2014, the university will offer health care and educational assistance benefits to your eligible opposite sex domestic partners.

Learn more about your domestic partner health care benefits options.

All enrollment selections for domestic partners are submitted to the HR Benefits team via paper forms for processing and should be accompanied by the necessary eligibility documentation.

Documenting your dependents

If you elect to cover dependents (child, spouse, etc.) under the university sponsored BCBS medical plan, their enrollment is subject to a documentation review to ensure they meet eligibility requirements under the plan.  

  • You will receive an email from HMS Employer Solutions (HMS) in your university email requesting dependent documentation. The sender will be nau@auditos.com.
  • You must provide the requested documentation to HMS within 25 days.

Change in dependent eligibility

If you have a dependent who becomes ineligible, you must remove them from your plan.  If the loss of coverage is due to a qualified life event, you need submit the change within 31 days of the event.