Become a certified peer educator
Become a member of CHEC!
Our College Health Education Club (CHEC) is a group of students interested in teaching their peers about college health issues. CHEC members are Certified Peer Educators through the BACCHUS national network. Health Promotion pays for training and certification. In return, CHEC helps with responding to the Ask the Health Nuts online health advice column as well as other health education activities throughout the year. Last year CHEC gave Sexology and Creepy or Cute presentations to classes and residence halls. Plus, they assisted with Sex Fest, Safe Spring Break Week, and Wellness Wednesdays. CHEC is available to provide short presentations about safer sex and proper condom use.
To become a member of CHEC you must:
- Complete an application and return it to Kasondra McCracken, Health Educator, in the Health Promotion office
- Complete the two-day training which allows you to become a Certified Peer Educator. The training is held on February 27th and 28th.
- Attend weekly meetings on Fridays from 1:30-2:30pm.
- Commit to participate in 5 events/presentations per semester
What you get out of it:
- FREE training
- Resume builder
- Meet other students interested in health
- Certification through the BACCHUS network
- Great experience for a real job in the health professions
If you would like to join CHEC, please complete the application and return it to the Health Promotion Office by February 20th, 2015.