Depo-Provera is given as an
injection every 10-13 weeks (the average is 12 weeks) and is a continuous, highly
effective method of birth control. Women who are using Depo-Provera should
insure their diets include 1000-1200 mg of calcium daily to prevent bone loss.
Why use it?
- May give you shorter, lighter periods
- Each shot lasts for 3 months
- Very effective--but you'll need to remember to get the shots on time
- You may have irregular bleeding in the first 6-12 months
- Change in appetite, which could lead to weight gain
- Doesn't protect against sexually transmitted infections
What else do I
need to know?