NuvaRing is a soft , flexible vaginal ring
that is approximately 2 inches in diameter. It contains both estrogen and
progestin like a birth control pill but the medication is absorbed through the
vaginal walls. It is inserted into the vagina and left in place for three
weeks, then removed for one week when you will have your period. When in
the proper place, you cannot feel it and because of the vaginal muscles, it
stays in place.
Why use it?
- Could improve acne
- May give you lighter, less painful periods
- Offers protection for three weeks at a time
- Sore breasts, nausea, and spotting may occur in the first few
- Easy to use: but you'll need to be comfortable with touching your body
- You may experience increased vaginal discharge
- Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections
What else do I
need to know?
Continue the Online Class
HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection. You
can get HPV by having oral, vaginal, or anal sex with someone who has the
virus. HPV can cause genital warts and cancer. HPV vaccines are safe and
effective for both males and females. Ask your doctor about it.