Exercise - Make it fun!
Why Should I Exercise?
Exercise helps you maintain or improve
your health, reduce stress, and feel better every day. Other benefits
of regular physical activity include:
- lower stress
work performance and attitudes
self-concept and self-esteem
control of weight
resistance against disease, such as the common cold
- decrease in
blood sugar levels
production of endorphins, which are brain chemicals that can enhance
Total fitness means keeping your body
in top working order. You should exercise at moderate intensity for
at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week. If you are short on
time, you can also break this down into three 10-minute sessions each
Not sure where to start? Check out some guidelines for getting active and staying that way!
Where to Workout
There are many ways to get fit on
- Check out the RecreationCenter
- The HLC has a full gym with free weights and machines, a rock-climbing wall, and a running track - all FREE to students!
- Group Fitness offers a variety of free non-credit classes. You just show up when you can! Fun, flexible way to add fitness to your schedule.
- Physical Education Services (PES) offers semester-long and 8-week fitness classes for-credit or non-credit.
- Go swimming at the Wall Aquatic Center
- Join a sportsclub or intramural team
- Check out NAU Outdoors - they offer for-credit and and non-credit adventure classes and wilderness medicine courses. Most trips fit into a weekend so you can earn credits while exploring the great outdoors!
In the community
Flagstaff and its surrounding areas offer a
variety of other sports
and fun ways to stay active.
Flagstaff offers beautiful scenery for all sorts of outdoor activities, so you can have fun hiking, trail running, mountain biking, or exploring. Don't know where to start? Check out a Flagstaff Trails Map.