Join Our Staff
Joining our First Scholars staff is an amazing opportunity to
develop your leadership skills.
The purpose of the First Scholars Mentor Program is to
assist first generation college students in making successful academic and
social transitions into college and beyond.
Mentors connect new first generation college students to the university
by providing encouragement, knowledge about resources and experience. Mentors also serve as role models and
confidants, encouraging academic success and personal development to assist
mentees with attainment of educational goals.
- Represent the First Scholars program and the university
- Attend all trainings and meetings
- Meet with the First Scholars Coordinator regularly
- Meet weekly with mentees, follow up with electronic and
- Attend program events
- Document interactions
How to apply
- Submit Jobs for Jacks application
- Complete the Application Cover Sheet.
- Attach a separate, typed document with answers to the
- What qualities and/or traits will you bring to this
position? Why do you feel you would be able to assist first generation college students
with a successful transition to Northern Arizona University?
- Why do you want to be a peer mentor?
- Describe why first generation college students may have
additional challenges in transitioning to Northern Arizona University?
- If you could teach each first generation college student
only one thing, what would it be and why?
- Include a copy of your resume with your application.
Friday, January 31, 2014 by 5:00pm