Study Abroad

The NAU Center for International Education (CIE) provides education abroad opportunities for NAU students to study in other countries while earning credit towards their degree.

At a glance
  • NAU students studying abroad are eligible for financial aid
  • Must fill out FAFSA
  • It is recommended students sign a FERPA form before leaving

More information

  • If you already have financial aid, please contact NAU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to discuss financial aid options for your study abroad program. You can also find general information about financial aid and study abroad on Study Abroad Programs Overview.
  • If your education abroad program is fee-based, waivers and NAU scholarships (i.e. NAU Merit, Deans, Presidents Resident and Non-Resident, AIMS, Lumberjack Scholars, EARP, and departmental tuition awards) cannot be used and will not cover your expenses (this includes WUE). Be aware that waivers and NAU scholarships cannot be used towards NAU programs in Costa Rica or Siena, faculty-led programs, provider programs (including USAC), and some internships and research. For exchange programs, waivers will reduce your expenses as they would if you were at NAU. 
  • Check the Study Abroad and Financial Aid Tips to review additional items you may need to know before you leave on your trip.
  • Sign a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or FERPA form before you leave so that someone who you trust will have the ability to discuss business on your behalf while you are overseas. This form must be turned in to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Students are encouraged to check with the Center for International Education and online for possible private donor study abroad scholarships. Any outside/private donor scholarships you receive must be reported to our office for eligibility/tracking purposes.
  • Please check the online calendar for important dates and deadlines.
  • It is your responsibility to have your school units from the overseas university transferred to NAU one semester after the completion of your study abroad program. If your units have not been transferred to NAU after two semesters, and you are receiving financial aid and/or merit awards (i.e. NAU Merit, Dean’s, President’s Resident and Non-Resident, AIMS, Lumberjack Scholars, and departmental tuition awards), this may affect your merit award renewal eligibility and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • E-mail us for more information