AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National
and Community Service. Service members work for local and national
Members who complete their service term earn an AmeriCorps
Segal Education Award, the amount of which is based on the length of the service
A Segal Education Award can be used for:
At a glance
- AmeriCorps service members are eligible
- To receive an award, submit a request at my.americorps.gov
- You can access any amount of the award until the
total has been used or the award expires
What non-credit-earning classes or activities qualify?
You can use your award for continuing education or workshops
offered by Title IV schools.
Current offerings at NAU include:
To request to use the award for these activities, please
contact the appropriate program manager:
- Campus Recreation Outdoor Adventures
- Road Scholars
- Park Ranger Training Program
Receiving your award
To request that an award payment be sent to NAU:
1. Log in at my.americorps.gov.
2. Select Segal Education Award Request, enter NAU's
information, the specific term and year, and the amount you would like to use
for the term.
3. If you are requesting a loan payment or forbearance, you
must enter the loan servicer’s information.
4. Please allow 5-7 days for your award to be accepted. Your
award may be denied or reduced if, including your AmeriCorps award, your total
aid is more than your cost of attendance (COA).
5. Once your award is accepted, AmeriCorps will send
one-half to the university in approximately 5-7 business days after the first
day of classes or after acceptance if accepted after classes begin. The funds
will be credited to your university account within 2-3 business days. If your
balance is zero, a refund will be issued. The second half of the funds will be
received after the 100 percent tuition refund deadline.
You can access the entire award, or just part of it, until
the total amount has been used or the award expires. The award must be used
within seven years of completing a term of service.
If you withdraw from your classes after your term award has
been disbursed, the university may be required to return a portion of your
award to AmeriCorps and collect the amount from you.
If you have questions about your AmeriCorps award, please
send an e-mail to Financial.Aid@nau.edu and
include "AmeriCorps" in the subject line.