The NAU Center for International Education (CIE) provides education abroad opportunities for NAU students to study in other countries while earning credit towards their degree.
- To apply for federal financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student
- If you already have financial aid, please contact NAU Office of
Scholarships and Financial Aid to discuss financial aid options for your study
abroad program. You can also find general information about financial aid and
study abroad on Study
Abroad Programs Overview.
- If your education abroad program is fee based, waivers and NAU scholarships (i.e. NAU Merit, Deans, Presidents Resident and Non-Resident, AIMS, Lumberjack Scholars, EARP and departmental tuition awards) cannot be used and will not cover your expenses (this includes WUE). Be aware that waivers and NAU scholarships cannot be used towards the NAU in Costa Rica, NAU in Siena, faculty-led programs, provider programs (including USAC), and some internships and research. For exchange programs waivers will reduce your expenses as they would if you were at NAU.
- Check the Study Abroad and Financial Aid Tips to
review additional items you may need to know before you leave on your trip.
- Sign a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or FERPA form before you leave so
that someone who you trust will have the ability to discuss business on your
behalf while you are overseas. This form must be turned in to the Office of the
- Students are encouraged to check with the Center for
International Education and online for possible private donor study abroad scholarships. Any
outside/private donor scholarships you receive must be reported to our office
for eligibility/tracking purposes.
- Please check the online calendar for
important dates and deadlines.
- It is your responsibility to have your school credits from the
overseas university transferred to NAU one semester after the completion of
your study abroad program. If your credits have not been transferred to NAU
after two semesters, and you are receiving financial aid and/or merit awards
(i.e. NAU Merit, Dean’s, President’s Resident and Non-Resident, AIMS,
Lumberjack Scholars and departmental tuition awards), this may affect your
merit award renewal eligibility and Satisfactory Academic