Tuition Benefits for Employees
Educational Aid Registration Permits (EARPs) undergo processing about one month prior to the start of the next semester. If you have already submitted your request, please begin checking your LOUIE account after that time for notification. EARPs are processed in the order received and will only be awarded if the student is enrolled in the semester that the permit is for.
The EARP is used for reduced tuition at NAU, ASU, and the U of A. Only eligible employees, the employee's spouse, domestic partners, and the employee's dependent children qualify for this benefit.
The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid processes all EARPs, but the Human Resources department holds the information to eligibility, credit hour limits, fees, etc. More information can be found at the Education Assistance web page.
To apply for the EARP tuition waiver:
Things to know:
- If the employee works at NAU and the student will be attending NAU, complete the online form at the bottom of this page.
- If the employee works at NAU and the student will be attending either ASU or U of A, complete the paper form at the bottom of this page and submit to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- If the employee works at ASU or U of A and the student will be attending NAU, obtain the form from the university where they are employed, complete and submit to NAU Office of Student Financial Aid.
- If the employee works at NAU and has a domestic partner attending NAU, follow the instructions at the Domestic Partner Tuition Assistance Program site.
- Faxed or photocopied paper EARP applications are not accepted. A paper EARP application must contain an original signature.
- Read the Verification of Eligibility for In-State Tuition, Scholarships and Financial Assistance.
- To qualify for the EARP tuition waiver, the employee must be benefit-eligibile on the first day classes begin. To check for your benefits eligibility, contact Human Resources at 928-523-2223.
- Before submitting the EARP application, the student must be registered for classes. The EARP will not be processed if the student is not enrolled in classes for the term for which the permit is applied.
- A separate EARP application must be submitted for each semester.
- An EARP application cannot be accepted after the last day of instruction for the semester or summer session for which the permit is applied.
- The Online EARP application may not be used if you are required to submit an EARP Dependent Affidavit.
- Allow up to ten working days for processing of your EARP application.
- NAU's Refund Policy applies to tuition waivers granted under the EARP. Classes dropped voluntarily after the refund period ends will remain taxable as long as the waiver meets the other criteria for taxation (currently 0% refund after the 14th calendar day for eight to 16 week classes and after the 7th calendar day for three, five and dynamically dated classes).
- Employees who have prepaid tuition before the start of the semester, and later terminate employment before the first day of classes are responsible for full payment of tuition.
- A "legally separated" spouse of a NAU employee does not qualify for the EARP tuition waiver.
- An employee will be taxed on the value of the EARP for a spouse or dependent child in a graduate level status.
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship appointment are generally accompanied with tuition benefits up to a 75% waiver of tuition costs during the fall and/or spring terms. Graduate Assistants entitled to tuition benefits through the EARP (1-9 hours = $25.00 plus fees) must choose between the two tuition benefits options and inform the Graduate College. Visit Graduate Assistants for more information on this policy.
- Please remember you are subject to the enrollment rules at the institution you are attending.
Dependent Affidavit Form
Online EARP Application for NAU Employees and/or their dependents who will be attending NAU
Paper EARP Application for NAU Employees whose student will be attending ASU or UA
NAU Affiliates and Retirees whose student will be attending and of the three universities