AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service. Service members work for local and national nonprofit groups.
Members who complete their service term earn an AmeriCorps Segal Education Award, the amount of which is based on the length of the service term.
A Segal Education Award can be used for:
What non-credit earning classes or activities qualify?read more
You can use your award for continuing education or workshops offered by Title IV schools.
- current offerings at NAU include:
To request to use the award, please contact the appropriate program manager:
- Campus Recreation Outdoor Adventures
- Elderhostel Road Scholars
- Park Ranger Training Program
Receiving your award read more
To request that an award payment be sent, the service member logs in at my.americorps.gov. Select Segal Education Award Request, enter NAU's information, the specific term, and amount you would like to use for the term. If you are requesting a loan payment or forbearance, you must contact the loan servicer.
Please allow 5-7 days for your award to be accepted. Your award may be denied or reduced if, including your AmeriCorps award, your total aid is more than your cost of attendance (COA).
Once your award is accepted, AmeriCorps will send one-half to the university in approximately 5-7 business days after the first day of classes or after acceptance if accepted after classes begin. The funds will be credited to your university account within 2-3 business days. If your balance is zero, a refund will be issued. The second half of the funds will be received after the 100% tuition refund deadline.
Other detailsread more
- A service member can access the entire award, or just part of it, until the total amount has been used or the award expires.
- The award must be used within seven years of completing a term of service.
- If you withdraw from your classes after your term award has been disbursed, the university may be required to return a portion of your award to AmeriCorps and collect the amount from you.
- If you have questions about your AmeriCorps award, please send an e-mail to Financial.Aid@nau.edu and include "AmeriCorps" in the subject line.