General Information


Vehicle Request Procedures After-Hours Check Out
Criteria for Vehicle Use Returning Vehicles
Licensing Requirement Reporting Vehicle Malfunctions
Proper Use of an NAU Vehicle Extended Dispatch and Maintenance Schedules
Vehicle Abuse/Smoking Safeguarding State Vehicles
Estimated Distance from FlagstaffInsurance
NEW!  Authorized Driver Policy CHANGES Accident Reporting
Travel in Mexico Emergencies
Parking Personal Vehicles Traffic Citations
Buses Van Training
Cancellations Billing Rate
Checking Out Vehicles Billing Procedure
Use of State Fuel Cards Emergency Phone Numbers



  1. Before submitting an official Vehicle Request to TSC, it is important to contact our dispatch office for vehicle availability information. Contacting TSC may be done by one of several ways:

    Requesting departments should submit requests as far in advance as possible, not to exceed one semester.

  2. A completed Vehicle Request must follow the reservation and must be sent to this office before the user is to be assigned a vehicle.
back to top


In order to be equitable to all concerned, vehicles will be issued based on the following priorities:

  1. Teaching and/or course attendance.
  2. Official off-campus business.
  3. Full-time departmental use.
back to top


  1. A valid Arizona drivers license is required by full-time faculty and staff for the use of any university vehicle. The dispatch office will verify licenses before departure.
  2. Drivers should be advised that it is a violation of university policy, and state law, to drive a university vehicle with a revoked or suspended license. To provide a false certification would be grounds for termination of employment with the university.
back to top


Vehicles are intended solely for official university activities and are not to be used for any other purpose. The following are examples of unofficial use: Authority (ARS 38-538)

  1. Activities which are not sanctioned by the university.
  2. Transporting individuals who are not essential to the completion of the mission for which vehicle is dispatched. Examples: Family, Friends and Animals.
  3. Conducting personal business.
  4. Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs.
  5. Driving with an expired or suspended drivers license.
  6. Speeding and unsafe operation.
  7. Exhibiting rude behavior while operating a vehicle.
  8. Parking in restricted areas such as "handicap spaces", bike lanes and sidewalks.
  9. Carrying alcohol, controlled or illegal substances and weapons.


When you are driving a university vehicle, you represent the STATE OF ARIZONA. It behooves you to be courteous to other drivers. Obey all Local and State traffic Laws and exercise good common sense, as you are accountable for all of your actions.

back to top


TSC and NAU are responsible for routine and major repair maintenance of University vehicles. The individual operator and departments are responsible for the proper operation of the equipment. Users will be notified when vehicles are returned in abused and/or excessively dirty conditions. Departments or individuals may be billed for the actual cost of repair or cleaning.


back to top 


  1. Before fleet vehicles will be sent into Mexico, it is necessary for the traveler to make arrangements for obtaining Mexican Insurance by contacting a claims representative at 3-2009, the Office of Risk Management. You may also check out the information at Risk Managements site on obtaining Insurance for Travel in Mexico.
  2. Information required by Risk Management includes: Vehicle I.D. number, License number, Make, Model, and Capacity. TSC will furnish this information at the time of the reservation.
  3. Once a request for insurance has been completed, Risk Management will provide the traveler with an insurance package. This insurance package will be placed inside the vehicle at all times during travel. When the trip is completed, the insurance package must be sent back to the Office of Risk Management.
  4. Reimbursement for fuel purchases made in Mexico will be made by TSC under the current exchange amount.
back to top


With a valid campus parking permit, TSC customers may park their personal vehicles in a designated area adjacent north and east of our main concourse.

back to top


  1. Calls for requesting bus transportation should be directed to TSC at 523-2469.
  2. To allow sufficient time to effectively schedule mass transportation requirements, bus requisitions for an upcoming semester are due at TSC a minimum of two weeks prior to the first day of classes for that semester. On that day, the priority schedule for the semester will be established. After this day, the buses will be assigned on a first-come basis.
  3. In the event TSC buses are not available, an attempt will be made to contract with a local vendor for cost plus a service charge.
  4. Buses will be assigned under the following priorities:
    1. Classes (credit bearing courses).
    2. Support of educational programs.
    3. Athletic team travel.
    4. Other official University business.
  5. User Departments will be responsible for Bus Driver Room and Board on all overnight stays.
back to top


  1. Every effort should be made to cancel vehicles when planned trips change.
  2. TSC reserves the right to bill a full day's dispatch fee to departments which fail to cancel requested transportation 6 hours before the scheduled time of departure.
back to top


When travelers are ready to check out a university vehicle it is important to make sure a completed Vehicle Request is at our office. TSC will verify that all requirements are met and will check the vehicle out to the traveler. Weekday office hours are from 6:00 am to 5:00 pm during regular sessions, and 6:00 am to 4:30 pm in the summer.

back to top


  1. At the time you check out a vehicle, a State of Arizona fuel card will be provided in each vehicle. This fuel card is valid at participating vendors for obtaining fuel, oil or minor services. If at all possible please refrain from using the fuel card within a 50 mile radius for Flagstaff. The fuel card may not, under any circumstances, be used to place fuel or minor repairs in any vehicle other than an NAU vehicle.
  2. If it should become necessary, due to station closure, or refusal to accept the State fuel card, the operator may purchase fuel using their own credit card or cash and will be promptly reimbursed from the TSC account. A receipt and Employee ID number is necessary before reimbursement can be made.
  3. Please, at all possible times, use self-service pumps.
back to top


After shop hours check out is possible when prior arrangements are made with TSC. Keys for the vehicles picked up during non-working must be obtained prior to the close of business on the last working day before the scheduled departure.

back to top


When a trip is complete, the vehicle is to be turned in promptly. It is extremely important that vehicles be returned at the time indicated on the Vehicle Request. Departments failing to return a vehicle at the scheduled time will be billed an additional on day use fee, plus any expenses incurred if transportation is to be rearranged for another user scheduled to use the same vehicle.


When returning a vehicle after duty hours, a key on the vehicle key ring will permit the traveler to enter through the north personnel door and into the vehicle storage area. upon entering, push the garage door button, on the right side of the entrance door. This will open the Large overhead door. Drive the vehicle into the building and head vehicle straight in, into an open parking space. Turn vehicle off and leave the keys in the ignition and please remember to leave the door to the vehicle unlocked. Upon leaving be sure to close overhead door and secure the small personnel door.

back to top


A form will be affixed to the rear view mirror of the vehicle before you begin your trip. Please use this form to note any irregularity or dissatisfaction in your vehicle and leave the filled out form on the driver seat.

back to top


    1. This section pertains to those departments which have continuing requirements for official University business travel. Vehicles in this category are leased full-time and are subject to rotation in order to equalize vehicle replacement plans. Departments with full-time use will be billed for actual miles traveled or at a monthly minimum rate.
    2. Requests for vehicles in this category must be fully justified and approved by the head of the requesting department and forwarded to the Fleet Manager. The Fleet Manager will notify the department on the availability and time necessary for fulfilling the request.
    1. It is the driver's responsibility to conduct a weekly service check of assigned vehicle(s) in this category. A weekly inspection should include:
      1. Check oil and coolant levels
      2. Tire Pressure
      3. Battery/cables
      4. Belts
      5. Report steering or braking problems
      6. Test safety equipment: horn, lights, wipers, turn signals, brake lights, and reflectors
      7. Inspect for damage
      8. Check for insurance packet
    2. Preventive Maintenance shall be scheduled by TSC at 5,000 miles or 6 month intervals, whichever occurs first. Please check your "next service" sticker located on the left corner of the windshield. A notice shall be mailed notifying the agency of the date the vehicle is scheduled for maintenance. Operators shall comply with the schedule, and, if unable to do so the operator shall call TSC to request a schedule change. Vehicles not brought in for scheduled services are subject to recall. Loaner vehicles are available for use, when the service is conducted at our facility. Please notify TSC at least a week before a scheduled service, if the service will be done at NAU and if a loaner vehicle is needed.
    3. If necessary to have a scheduled service conducted outside of our facility, please notify TSC as to vendor and estimated cost. In some instances it may be possible to have the service paid by the use of the State Fuel card. On any transaction completed off campus, it is imperative that TSC receives a copy of the completed work order.

    Requests for specially installed equipment such as dash mats, radios, sirens, etc., shall be submitted in writing to the Fleet Manager. The using department shall be responsible for the procurement, installation and future removal of any added equipment.

Further information concerning extended use vehicles may be obtained by calling 523-6439.

back to top


As with all state equipment assigned to you, you are expected to take every reasonable action to care for state vehicles. Failure to do so could result in disciplinary action.

back to top


  1. The State of Arizona provides vehicle liability coverage to University employees, volunteers, and agents while using a University-owned, Leased, or Rented vehicle if the vehicle is used for authorized purposes within the course and scope of the travelers recognized duties. Authority.
      Use of University-Owned Vehicles: NAU employees shall be covered within the limitations of A.R.S. §41-621, et seq., while driving a University-owned or non-State-owned vehicle in the course and scope of employment (“Who is Covered” from State Risk Management and Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-107.A.1 through 3).   Each agency will ensure that anyone authorized to operate a University-owned vehicle or non- owned vehicle on University business, has a valid Arizona driver's license.  Coverage shall be on a primary basis for University-owned vehicles and on an excess basis for non- owned vehicles.

    Volunteer Drivers: Volunteers are those persons doing University work under the direction and control of University officials and are not being paid by anyone for these activities.  Liability coverage is extended to ‘registered’ volunteers acting at the direction of University officials and within the course and scope of their State-authorized activities (Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-107.B and “Who Is Covered” from State Risk Management).  Registered volunteers (agents of the University) are provided the same liability protection afforded University employees.  Thus, registered volunteers acting within the course and scope of their State authorized activities would be covered for their liability exposure as agents of the State. 

    To become a registered volunteer, the volunteer and his/her NAU supervisor must complete and submit a Volunteer Registration Form to Property and Liability Insurance Services (P. O. Box 4067).  Forms are also available at Property and Liability Insurance Services by contacting the Insurance Officer at 523-2009.   Volunteer driver and his/her NAU supervisor must fill out and submit the Volunteer Registration Form to Property and Liability Insurance Services prior to any volunteer activities.  Refer to Volunteer Coverage section for more information. 

    Uninsured / Under-Insured Motorist Coverage:State Risk Management does not provide uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage.  A University employee will not receive compensation from the State beyond that provided by State Workers’ Compensation statutes when the responsible party is uninsured or under-insured.  If the responsible party in a vehicle accident is uninsured or under-insured, injured passengers riding in the State vehicle have no liability coverage available from the State.  If a University employee is driving a personal vehicle and is transporting individual(s) that are not University employees, no under-insured or uninsured motorist coverage would be available on a secondary basis.

    Transporting Family and Friends: The University employee shall not transport non-University passengers (for example family, friends, individuals not affiliated with NAU), which may jeopardize the employee’s liability coverage through State Risk Management.

    Van Training:  If you are the authorized University driver of a 9 to 12 passenger van, you must be NAU van certified.  For more information, contact Francisco Espinoza at 928-523-5183 or Chris Johnson at 928-523-2469.

    Windshield Damage: State Risk Management covers damage to windshields and windows on all University-owned vehicles.  If the damage occurs on campus and is criminal or vandalism, contact University Police Dispatch at 523-3611 to file a police report.  If the damage is weather related (caused by a road rock, etc.) fill out the on-line Damage Report to generate a claim.  In the case of auto glass, the State will cover losses under the $100 minimum amount for a claim.  The State of Arizona contracts with SAFELITE FULFILLMENT, INC. for all auto glass repairs to State (University) vehicles.

    For more information on University-Owned Vehicles, contact the Insurance Officer with Property and Liability Insurance Services, at (928) 523-2009.

  2. The University will not provide coverage for accidents involving intentional wrong doing or criminal activities while operating a vehicle.


back to top


  1. A completed Automobile Loss Report Form shall be made on all motor vehicle accidents, regardless of the amount of damage, with 24 hours of the time of the accident. It is imperative that the most Local Law Enforcement jurisdiction be contacted to initialize a police report case number. NAU Risk Management is required to report all liability claims to State Risk Management Section within one day if there is bodily injury or if damage is expected to exceed $10,000. All other losses are to be reported to State within 10 days.
  2. Accident Reporting Packets including the Automobile Loss Report Forms are located in the vehicle glove box. Names and telephone numbers of any witnesses shall be obtained by use of Information Exchange Cards (also located in the Accident Packet in the glove box).
  3. A complete list of instructions on reporting a University-owned vehicle accident can be found here.
back to top


  1. In the event of a vehicle breakdown, the vehicle operator shall call one of the emergency telephone numbers listed on the back cover of this Users Guide.

    Our emergency line is (928) 523-4227.

  2. The vehicle shall be locked if it is necessary to leave it unattended. If it is necessary to signal for assistance on a roadway, the hood of the vehicle should be raised and the hazard flashers turned on.
back to top


  1. State vehicle operators are responsible for the prompt payment of fines for any moving and non-moving traffic citations, other than mechanical failure received while driving a University vehicle. Under no circumstances shall the citation be paid with University Funds.
  2. Citations received for mechanical failure shall be personally taken to the Fleet Manager.
back to top


A behind the wheel skills course is offered to all potential drivers of university vans. It is recommended to user departments of large vans to promote within their departments this course to sharpen up on driver awareness and skill. We have an outline of the subjects, time and certification covered in the training, plus a chart of van training statistics. To sign up for the course online or call phone ext. 5183.

back to top


Fleet billing rates may vary from fiscal year to fiscal year depending upon the size of the fleet, cost of new vehicles, prices for fuel products, insurance, maintenance and repair costs. Updates of the current rate structure will be published by the Office of Business Affairs. Call the Dispatch Office at 523-2469 for current rate charges.

back to top


So that customers are up-to-date on transactions, billings for day rental vehicles is provided weekly through Peoplesoft. A copy of the priced out vehicle request will be sent to the using department.

back to top


  NAU PD523-3611


PHONE: (928) 523-4227

back to top







Weekday and non-holiday dispatch office hours are from 6 am to 5 pm during regular semesters. Summer hours are from 6 am to 4:30 pm.










Thank You and Drive Safely