Dr. Barbara Veltri
BA: Iona College, New Rochelle, NY
Double Major: History & Political Science
MAT: Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY
EdD: Arizona State University
Areas of teaching
- Social Studies Methods and Assessment
- Elementary School Curriculum
- Professional Problems of Teachers
- Principles in Curriculum Design
- Elementary Literacy; Literacy in the Content Areas
- Veltri, B.T. & Singh, N. (in press). “ATale of Two Countries: Teach For America/Teach For India as Globalized EducationalReform ‘For The Public Good?” World Education Culture Congress Proceedings.
- Veltri, B. T. (April, 2010). Learning on Other People’s Kids: Becoming a Teach ForAmerica Teacher. Information AgePublishers: Charlotte, North Carolina. This book offers insiders views of thecorps members’ experiences in two regionsinitial teacher preparation program.
- (UnderReview.) Veltri, B.T. (November, 2010). “From a Kids” Point of View: How Children’sVisual Art Informs Practiceon “Pot-holder Topics.” Journal of Research in Childhood Education.
- Veltri, B. T. (July, 2008). Teaching orService? The site-based realities of Teach For America Teachers in Poor Urban Schools. Education and Urban Society, 40 (5) Thousand Oaks, California: CorwinPress.
- Veltri, B.T. (April, 10, 2008.) “Separate and Unequal: Realities in Schools andTeaching to the Test “ TheDallas MorningNews (p. A10).
- Veltri, B.T.(1999-2001) Performance Power Seriesfor grades 2-5 New York: Newbridge Educational.
- Veltri, B.T. (April, 1998) “Jackie Robinson’s Stolen Base Bar Graph.”Breaking Barriers ” New York: Scholastic Publishers.
- Veltri, B. T. (April, 1986) On the Trail of One’s Hero, The Greenwich Time.
- Veltri, B. T. (May 1986) “Celebrity Book Project” Library Talk Magazine.
- Veltri, B.T. (May, 1985) Mother’s Camp. TheStamford Advocate
- Veltri, B.T. (March, 1985) “Rx for yourgym program,” InstructorMagazine
- Veltri, B.T. (February, 1984) “Believers and Achievers: A Salute to Black Americans,”Instructor Magazine.
- Veltri, B.T. (October, 1983) “Back to Basics with Baseball” Instructor Magazine.
Works in process
- “Who’s in the House? Poor Urban Districts’ Hiring Polices and the Impact on Practitioners” Journal of Teacher Education.
- “TenYears After: Teacher Candidates Reflect on How 'School' Handled 9/11”
- Teach for America and alternative pathways to teaching
- Sports Curriculum (Baseball and Football) web site: www.powerhitter.co
- Narrative Research, how stories teach us about ourselves and history
- Students' visual art and discourse on 'pot-holder' topics
- National Council for Social Studies
- American Educational Research Association
- Arizona Council for the Social Studies
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
Consultant and/or media interviews in area of professional expertise
- Teach For America
- Baseball and Curriculum