Dr. Gretchen McAllister
BS: Wells College
MA: Lesley College
PhD: Emory Univeristy
Areas of teaching
Elementary education methods courses: Social Studies, Language arts (reading and writing), Assessment of Learning, elementary school curriculum; Masters level courses on Social Studies and Language Arts, Doctoral Course ECI 610: Context of Education, Bilingual Education courses
Multicultural teacher education, culturally responsive pedagogy
- National Council for Social Studies
- Kappa Delta Phi
- American Association of Educational Research
- Arizona Reading Council
- Phi Delta Kappa
- McAllister, G. (in press). Multicultural Professional Development for African American Teachers: In J. J. Irvine (Ed). In search of wholeness: Urban teachers' discovery of cultural identity.
- McAllister, G. (2001). A review: Elusive culture Schooling race, and identity in global times. Encounter: Education for meaning and social justice, 14, 62-64.
- McAllister, G. (2000). Becoming and unbecoming white: Owning and disowning, Journal of Moral Education, 30(2), 205-207.
- McAllister, G. & Irvine, J. J. (2000). Cross cultural competency and multicultural teacher education. Review of Educational Research, 70, 3-24.
- Children's website on Route 66 being constructed in collaboration with four classes of children
- Role of empathy in culturally relevant practice
- Examination of 13 teachers' journeys from preservice throught first year of teaching