Optional Practical Training
What is OPT?
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is defined in the F-1 regulations as "temporary employment for practical training directly related to the student's major area of study."
It can be pre-completion or post-completion (after graduation).
Am I eligible for OPT?
To be eligible for OPT, the following must apply to you:
- You must have been a full time F-1 student in a degree program for at least one year
- You must be in ACTIVE F-1 status, and have a valid passport
- You cannot have done 12 months or more of full time CPT (Curricular Practical Training
How much OPT can I do?
- You can do 12 months of full time OPT per educational level (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate).
- If you are in a STEM field, you may be eligible for an extension of 24 months of your OPT, please visit our OPT STEM EXTENSION page for more information
How do I apply for OPT?
Please click on the below link to see our OPT Request Informational Information or contact ISSS at email@example.com :
Learn more about Optional Practical Training.